Campfire when hunting backcountry?

COdzert1

Mar 26, 2018
Western CO.
Sometimes its nice to have a fire out there in the back country, caveman TV! Other times just too beat to do so. It does not effect the game what so ever. One night just got settled in for the night, fire was burning down, bright coals smoking. When I heard then seen something making its way into camp closer. This real nice 4x4 mulie came tip toeing right up to my fire ring and sniffed the fire. Looked around then just eased on out.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I?ve always thought that the smell of a fire to game would make them leave the area. A defense mechanism that they would know that it?s a fire and that it could burn their living area and they would want to get away from a fire.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I?ve always thought that the smell of a fire to game would make them leave the area. A defense mechanism that they would know that it?s a fire and that it could burn their living area and they would want to get away from a fire.
The biggest buck I have ever targeted...was found on the edge of a burn, the year that it burned. I was still fighting smoke that year and buddy actually happened upon the buck I was hunting and killed him a few hundred yards from the edge of the burn.

Having said that, I usually only burn in contained systems like what SO has to offer when I use floorless shelters.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I've watched deer in SE OR wandering around 1-2 miles in a burn while hot spots still gave off smoke. My guess is that part of the burn was 2-4 days "old". Not sure if they were returning to old haunts, looking for new growth already, just curious or ? But saw several small groups.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I love to hunt burns. Just like Scott some of the biggest bucks I've hunted are on the edges of burns.

I get that part of a fire but I would doubt a deer would go towards a fire then go the opposite direction.

MountainHigh

Jul 19, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
I have never had a fire while out in the back country hunting because by the time I make it back to camp I am beat. I usually eat, prep for next day and hit the sack!

stumpy waters

Sep 25, 2015
This is always interesting every time it?s asked. I?m sure sometime it hurts and sometimes it doesn?t.

We build a fire, not sure what the difference is. If a deer is going to smell the fire he?s going to smell a couple of unbathed hunters just the same. I don?t care what kind of scent proof clothing you are wearing.

The 175 buck my son killed last year wasn?t 150 yds from our tents when he killed him and my dad was still at the tents with a big fire going. We bedded about 8 deer down the evening before and camped about 200 yds from them and had a fire going from dark until 10pm when it started raining.
Three of them were bucks and all three of the bucks came out together that close and they were bedded downwind from the fire. We didn?t expect them to come out the direction they did but it?s probably a good thing he had the fire going it probably covered his scent.
My son was convinced the smoke was gonna clear the whole area out. :))

Last edited:

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
Unless there is a burn ban in the area, which often doesn't mean anything to some people, there is a campfire going on almost every trail in the state of Colorado throughout the summer and fall months. I hiked into an area about 6.5 miles deep yesterday passing 10-12 camps. Had there not been a burn ban in place, I'm sure every single one of these camps would have had some sort of fire going the night before, and some likely did.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
I love sitting around a fire at the end of the day, never too tired for a fire and a single malt in a tin mug. I hate camping without a fire, the only time there isn't one would be due to fire bans. I can't even estimate the number of animals we have coming to within 30m and less of our camps.

dru.bishop73

Jul 17, 2017
Typically not a true campfire if packed in, but I love my cylinder stove! If in either a truck camp or a packed in basecamp I will have wood set up and ready to light. I usually don't mess with it but I won't complain either if a buddy decided to torch it off.

My preference is to Just crash at night without starting a fire. I'm usually beat and it's well after dark. I just crawl in my bag to keep warm and break out the jetboil stove/mtn house. Once that's going I organize gear for the next morning so I can just grab and go; finalize my hunt plan for the next day, and load up the stove body with wood, any trash or wrappers from meals/bars, and just a few squirts of lighter fluid (I keep a small, partially full can of Zippo refill fluid, about 2oz). Then in the am when my alarm goes off I just touch off the kindling and go right back to sleep. About 15 minutes later it is so hot inside that tarp that you will literally jump out of that bag to get some relief. I sleep cold and the worst part of backpack hunting for me was getting out of my warm bag on those cold, cold mornings. It gets tempting to sleep in after 3-4 days or on especially cold mornings. But this system has worked extremely well for me. Really gets me moving on those days and makes the entire experience so much more enjoyable.

I have no concerns about the smoke disturbing animals. I don't even think they associate the smell of smoke with hunters.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

rackpack

Mar 17, 2014
Festus, MO
I have not built a campfire on any of my back country trips. I too worry about the odor and since I don't get many days in the woods out west I always try to maximize the opportunities. I do love the smell of smoke and the crackling of fires while camping. Just takes me back to a much simpler life and great appreciation of the great outdoors has to offer if we just turn off our phones & other devices.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
All my young life was taught not to get smoke on my clothes,critters/deer and elk don't care;just don't disturb them from noctural habits.,early am./late pm.upsets them..like me.