Cabinet Mountains Wilderness goat hunt (attempt)

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
A good friend of mine drew a MTN Goat tag for the Cabinet Mountains Wilderness in NW Montana. I went up on Monday and we backpacked in to a camp location he had scouted. A month earlier he saw a 9-10" billy in there. The weather looked like it was going to turn nasty on us. I just hoped the visibility would not hinder us. Snow is okay, but we need to see.

Got in and got the tent up just as a snow-storm hit us.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
Woke up to an additional 10 inches or so of snow on the ground. Already had a couple when we left the trail-head. Visibility sucked! Most of the time could not see 50-100 yards.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
Thought we should get out since conditions just made it impossible to see anything.

After not being able to hunt for two days, we went back in Friday. Conditions better, but we would only have good visibility at times every couple hours or so, and then it would not last long.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
I sure hope my friend makes it back in before he gets snowed out. I have a special mule deer buck tag I drew that I need to worry about so I am not sure I'll be able to get back with him again. I really would like to though. We saw a Pine Martin on the way out on Friday which was pretty neat. I have not seen them in the wild very often.

On the way out at about 4200 feet less elevation. Whole new world here.

Got my first turkey at my buddies place. I was pretty excited about that. As I write this it is smoking on my smoker using apple wood. Should be great!!

to top it off I saw a few bighorn sheep just east of Thompson Falls on the highway. Pretty cool trip.