Bucks going hard-horned...

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
They started shedding velvet about 2 weeks ago here in CA. I can't wait to hunt TX one of these days. Those are some great looking bucks packmule.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
Thank you. I'm still waiting on the older ones to show up, so far just that bachelor group of 2 & 3yos....and lots of hogs. Ready for the acorns to drop so those hogs will leave me alone.

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
SUNP0002.jpg

Pulled my card today, I only have one camera out on a pipeline row that was cleared last month. I'll pour some corn out to get a better look at him. He looks young, but has potential.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
Looks to have plenty of potential.

Plan on checking cams again today to see what's shown up. Been rainy and temps have dipped some so it's time for the floodgates to open for new bucks showing up.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
I need to set land mines.. our trapper ended up catching 8 out of the big group last night so that'll help some. I'm beyond annoyed with them, used to be solid buck pics until they started showing up at the end of 2010.

NVBird'n'Big

Veteran member
May 27, 2011
Reno, NV
Have you guys seen the videos of the guys in the helicopters just going to town on the pigs in Texas. I think we need to find a chopper and head to packmules place for some fun.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
Lol...choppers are useless in our part of Tx. What used to be big cotton plantations got converted over to pine plantation when the sawmills started popping up in the late 1800s. Now you can't see through the canopy to shoot anything. I tried doing an aerial survey on our place a yr after it was clearcut and new growth was already over head high and too thick to see into. (Which is why I now have pigs bc it's perfect nesting habitat). Next time I go up to the place in got a little trick in store for them.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
Next time I go up to the place in got a little trick in store for them.
and 5 loads of buckshot into them and picking one off with the 257roy when it tried to cut back across the pipeline seemed to have moved that bunch somewhere else.

I wish every IR game camera had a 4M CP spotlight lighting up the area.