Block Management areas?

FitToHunt

Hello all, I'm trying to get a sense of the quality of block managment areas for a rifle elk hunt. I know this is probably a pretty loaded question, since I'm sure there are some that are great and some that are not....

I'm looking at some in the phillipsburg area as a way to target some of those later season elk that may have moved down into the valley due to the weather. I've been exclusively a bow hunter for elk, so this season and strategy is new to me.

So, I guess what I'm asking is; do these areas usually get a lot of pressure during rifle season and should be avoided. And/or is this area around Phillipsburg (212) a productive one for a brand new rifle hunter that's kind of going in blind?

Thanks guys.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
Not familiar with that area, but any type 1 BMA with elk on it during general season will have pressure. Type 2 that have elk are probably on someone's radar and reservations were taken back in august. Lots of public in region 2 though, and elk so you will probably have to just look. In an area with that much public, type 1 BMAs may be no better but there could be sleepers.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
Type 1, you sign in at a sign in box at the property (hunter administered permission), so there's no limit really on the number of hunters on the property. Type 2 is landowner administered permission, usually by meeting them at their place or by the regional BMA office. Most type 2 limit the number of hunters scheduled on the property on a given day. For these you make reservations, and prime times on good BMAs fill up within minutes of when reservations start. There are always cancellations though (guy tags out somewhere else before his days on that BMA).

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/blockman/access.html