Biologist contact info

ILHntr

Aug 14, 2011
I am hunting in region D this year in Wyo. and I am trying to find some contact info for the area Biologist or game wardens either email or phone numbers I cant seem to find anything online. Does anyone know were I can get this info? Thanks

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
You can call the Game and Fish office in Laramie @307-745-4046. They should be able to get you in contact with the Biologist. They are also having meetings in Laramie, Saratoga and a couple other places to discuss the Platte River herd this week. So you might ask the biologist what the outcomes of those meetings are. They will also give you the phone number to the Game Warden you want to speak to. Good Luck

ffd061

Feb 21, 2011
Glyndon, Minnesota
I would contact either the regional office in Casper or Laramie, depending on what area you are planning on hunting, and they should be able to give you the name/number of the bio for that area.
The Wyoming Game Wardens Assoc website has a district map showing the coverage areas for the Game Wardens. Again, just find the area you would like to hunt and the map will list the name of the Warden as well as their contact info.

Here is the link to the Game Warden info:
http://www.wyominggamewardens.com/

ILHntr

Aug 14, 2011
For those interested, I called the WYO game and fish office and the biologist for the Medecine Bow region has retired and they do not have a replacement yet.

DrHJH

Sep 13, 2011
Cheyenne
What do you want to know? It's true Rich Guenzel has retired, and a new guy wouldn't be able to help you much anyway. I also retired, but can still manage to remember hunting spots. Hunter success rates in the Medicine Bow National Forest are lower than in the northern portion of the region. Difference is the larger number of trees in the MBNF and their ability to hide deer. No lack of hunters, either, but most will be running up and down the roads on their ATVs, not where the deer will be. Deer season in the northeastern portion of the Snowy Range(area 75) is complicated by the opening of the elk season concurrently with the deer season.
Options include the foothills habitats along the edges of the national forest throughout region D on mixed NF and BLM land, the edges of timberline all over the Snowy Range and on the east side of Bridger Peak, the slopes of Rock Creek Canyon in area 75, the top and back side of Pennock Mountain, and the shallow canyons along the west side of the Laramie River between Woods Landing and the Colorado state line. There will be deer scattered in and among the numerous clear-cuts on the NF, too, but pin-pointing them is difficult, particularly since this is such a good year for forage on the NF.

ILHntr

Aug 14, 2011
First let me say THANKS for the info, I spent a week in Region D last year mostly around the Encampment River , saw alot of does and a few spikes, I spent a day driving around looking at new ground and have a few areas in mind, just wondering if they are worth the time or not.

Brooklyn Lake gaurd station area, Pike Pole and Pickaroon camp ground area, Chimney rock camp ground area, and the last is kind of hard to describe not much around, if you take South spring creek rd out of Saratoga it takes you into some BLM were it meets NF. I only get about 6 days of hunting and since we pack in its about 1/2 day in and 1/2 day out. Just want to make the most of the time.

Thanks

DrHJH

Sep 13, 2011
Cheyenne
All are possibilities. Pikepole and Pickaroon if you get uphill away from the campgrounds, where you may have company, and you have to dodge around the wilderness. Brooklyn Lake north along timberline, away from the road, all the way to Windy peak west of Sand Lake should have some timberline bucks, and most of the roads off Sand Lake road are closed. The area you describe on South Spring Creek is the stuff below Bridger Peak, and it has produced good bucks in the past, but there will be lots of hunters along the BLM/NF boundary. Try as I might, I can't find a Chimney Rock Campground on the Medicine Bow National Forest, and the forest map doesn't list it. Chimney Park, perhaps, across from the Lincoln park campground? Lots of hunters there, camped all along the Lincoln Park road, but most won't hunt that ridge to the north and west of Chimney Park.
I presumed you were hunting like most of the rest of the world, not packing in. If you want to pack in, you might also consider the area at the end of Forest road 241, in sections 32, 4, 5, 6, and 8, also near timberline, where I have seen bucks while hunting elk that obviously hadn't seen hunters in deer season. The area can't be accessed this year from road 220 because the torrential rains earlier this year washed out that road. Ditto the roads up Little Brush and South Brush Creeks unless they have been repaired in the past few days. The hike in to hunt from road 241 should be mostly flat. Or, you could just find water and camp at the end of the road and day hunt to the north and east.