Bighorn Basin - Lodging/Food

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Within the next few weeks, I'm hoping to head out to try to punch my doe deer tag (muley or whitey) in the Bighorn Basin.

I was unable to make a trip and scout this summer, but there's a lot of accessible public land and WIA in there.

I hope to meet up with a buddy for the hunt itself; but depending on scheds, may be solo for all or part of my hunt.

I plan to truck/spike camp; but if the weather goes sour, I'm not too proud to go into town and wait it out.

Looking for suggestions in Worland-Tensleep area for a reasonable place to spend a nite/grab a bite if I need to get indoors.

Thanks!

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Kirby has a good restaurant and a distillery, which is south of Worland. Ten sleep has a really good brewery. In my opinion none of the places have great food, Worland would have the most choices for lodging. Lots of middle to lower price point lodging. Lots of does hanging on the back sides of ag land, and on WIHA, you'll do just fine.

Reactions: Prerylyon

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
That's the game plan. Must be some oil/gas exploration, sugar beet or livestock industries around Worland; wasn't expecting so much out there when I cold googled it...

Don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but if I have time after fillng the tag, hope to scout some areas for a future day when I cash my points in.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
That's the game plan. Must be some oil/gas exploration, sugar beet or livestock industries around Worland; wasn't expecting so much out there when I cold googled it...

Don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but if I have time after fillng the tag, hope to scout some areas for a future day when I cash my points in.
All 3 industries you listed. What area is your tag good for?

I stay at the comfort inn when I work up there, other guys have stayed at the day's inn and say it's clean. Days inn you can park your truck by you door, which is nice withhunting gear in it.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Beware if the Gumbo, as it was beyond horrible a couple weeks ago, and it doesn't look like it has had much opportunity to dry out.
I'm good for 10-15 to 11-15; will try to go when the weather is decent-cuz I'm a wuss-but definitely will heed your advice; I saw pictures of some of the guys rigs.

Last edited:

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
We were just south of Tensleep in antelope area 115 (deer area 164/40), 3 days of fog, rain, sleet, & snow. We hunted on foot from camp until it cleared, and then headed out on two Polaris Rangers. One of our older guys can barely walk, so it was time for him to get out of camp. Unfortunately he pushed too hard and blew a belt and that pretty much ended his hunt. Chains help to a point if you drive a PU, but the gunk just keeps getting thicker on your tires until you can't even turn. The roads do dry up surprisingly fast with a day of sun and wind.
It surprised me that we saw far more deer than in previous trips. I suggest that you try to stay on the traveled roads as much as possible, and hunt on foot if you have wet weather. The deer were thickest on the alfalfa fields, but look in the broken country and small patches of trees. I stalked several bucks just for the exercise while I was out there. Good luck.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Sounds like a greasy, slippy mess. We had similar conditions on an elk hunt in 2017. The open BLM roads are prob the worst; but I've seen some county roads too that get dicey. Of all the aspects of a western hunt, mud is probably not high on most guys' lists of factors; but getting stuck or broke down in it is no fun at all.

Last edited: