Big dog down

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
My new coyote system is working. I am using the Foxpro Spitfire, the Elusive Wildlife Technologies XLR 250 Gun Light , and gen 3 night vision. I put the speaker about 150 yds away, sometimes two or three hours before dark, letting the sent decrease. I use the night vision to see them, then turn on the light and with the Z5 set on five power, I send them a 55gr 243wssm. In shorter ranges, I use the 10/22 with 22lr. This has got to be helping the other animals. Last nights dog was huge and in my own pasture, too.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Extreme- that sounds way more efficient that shooting them during the daylight! We've got so many coyotes up here that I rarely go a hunt without seeing one. We started doing some intense predator management about 3 years ago. We shoot every coyote we can, and shoot everything that eats turkey eggs (within our furbearer season, of course). We've been much harder on the raccoons, possums and skunks than we have the coyotes, and we have seen a noticable increase in our turkey populations.

I might have to try your night time set up.

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Fink, we don't leave skunks out there either. Raccoons have been harder than I expected. BTW deer eyes come back red, very red, but he coyote comes back as one white light, not two eyes, at least that is how it looks to me. Skunks have pulled some amazing maneuvers to avoid getting shot.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
For us, raccoons are real easy. They love to sleep in our deer stands. Walk up to the stand, shake the ladder, coons go to running, shotguns go to work. It's like a redneck version of flushing a covey of quail :D

When you hit them with the light, how much time do you have to shoot before they take off? How close of a shot do you usually get?

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
The coyotes dont even look at rhe light, they sometimes dont even seem to see it, same with deer. We have been able to get 50yds of bedded deer and leave without them getting up. Skunks act afraid of it but you can still get too close and I have yet to take a coon. I shoot quick and my grandson takes a little more time but he is very dependable, i never expect him to miss. I will let you know on the coon when that happens.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
im comeing to arkansas man i want in on the fun!;) where is searcy? i lived in and around little rock and pocahontas for a couple years but cant remember where searcy is. we did kill lots of yotes in the malvern/ hot springs area though. lot of striped bass in the lock damns near pine bluff/whitehall area too. fun place.

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Searcy is about half way between LR and Pocahontas. There are 8 deer in the pasture near the house now, they dont know I can see them. We had one coyote set today and flunked.