Big Agnes sandhoffer 20

billdoe708

May 10, 2015
Michigan
Looking at this mummy bag. Wanting something warmer. Not looking for ultra light weight. Just a decent bag that's better than my old kelty. I'm 6'1" and wide at the shoulder. This one seems to have a decent foot box and not be super narrow. Anyone have one? Do you like it?

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Looking at this mummy bag. Wanting something warmer. Not looking for ultra light weight. Just a decent bag that's better than my old kelty. I'm 6'1" and wide at the shoulder. This one seems to have a decent foot box and not be super narrow. Anyone have one? Do you like it?
I have not tried this bag but I am a huge Big Agnes fan. Great product. I have the -15, 0 and 40 degree bag.
Just as a FYI I would expect your 20 degree bag to give you comfort in the 35-45 degree temp. That’s only based on the current bags I have.
Best of luck.

billdoe708

May 10, 2015
Michigan
Planning on picking up a liner bag too. Add a couple of degrees. I have slept in my thermals too to keep me a bit warmer. My kelty lighyear 3-D is about 18 years old and getting a bit worn out.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I wasn't sure if your post was asking just about this bag, or about warmer options. I'll share what I use anyway, talk is cheap. :) Hopefully it helps you/someone else.

I use an Outdoor Vitals 0° bag in winter, the "Long" one. I'm only 6'0 but I've found it a bit oversized so I imagine it would work for you. In warmer weather I use the same bag in the 30° option. (If it's too hot I just open it and sleep on top.)

I also carry a 2GoSystems "V3 Trifecta Bivvy". They seem to be sold out right now... hopefully they come back because I'll definitely get a second one for my wife as soon as that happens. This thing is great. If you add it to a sleeping bag as a bivvy it both makes your sleep system waterproof and adds easily 10° to your range. But it also doubles as a waterproof, heat-reflecting tarp so I don't need to carry a tarp separately.

Between these items my whole sleep system runs between 3-4lbs. In warmer weather when there are no snakes/bugs to worry about (yes, I'm afraid of snakes) I can just sleep under the tarp and I'm done already. If it's colder or I don't trust where I am, I use a Forest River 2-man tent (I like the extra space) that only adds another 3lbs. In EXTREMELY cold weather, I just add a pair of Mega Warmers, one at my feet, one near my shoulders. They're cheap and effective, and a fistful of them only adds a half pound or so.

It's a great system that works for me. YMMV.

Reactions: Bonecollector