Best budget spotting scope? (under $400)

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
I have a Leupold Gold Ring 25 power fixed by 50 mm scope. It is light, compact, and has great glass in it. It's about $400.00 as is the newer 10x30 power variable Gold Ring scope Leupold has come out with. It too is about $400.00. If I did not already own my 25 power Leupold fixed, I would get the new 10x30 power variable. Really nice optics and compact. You won't be able to use them if you don't carry them, and these are small and light enough you will carry them. You also cannot beat the Leupold warranty! Just my thoughts.

Futboler

Feb 24, 2011
Great Falls, MT
Still up at 2PM. I thought about it, but I don't know alot about this spotting scope. Vortex Nomad was reviewed pretty well in this forum, but the Skyline hasn't had any discussion. 3 hours left on it and about half of them are sold.

Rob P

Mar 10, 2011
Vortex skyline on campfire looks like a steal. I have the nomad and it works for my budget. If I didn't have one already I'd be all over that skyline. Although at 64oz not considered great for backpacking.

elktracker

Feb 24, 2011
Jackson, WY
That is an awesome deal on the Skyline, I just read a few reviews sounds like a good scope. It is heavier than anything I would want to carry on a backpacking hunt though. Wish I had an extra $400, I would buy one to keep in the truck.

RobinHood

Feb 27, 2011
Henderson, NV
That is an awesome deal on the Skyline, I just read a few reviews sounds like a good scope. It is heavier than anything I would want to carry on a backpacking hunt though. Wish I had an extra $400, I would buy one to keep in the truck.
Yes it is heavier, but that is a steal on a great scope! I have that exact scope (as mentioned earlier) and was happy with it at full price. If you picked one up you will not be disapointed. Any questions let me know.

elktracker

Feb 24, 2011
Jackson, WY
Thanks for the info RobinHood, I am sure it is a great scope even at full price and an unbelievable deal at $400 but I can't see myself packing around a 4+ lb scope plus a full size tripod to hold it up. I think I'll save my coin for a scope I would carry in the back country.

Ridgerunner

Feb 21, 2011
I like my little 25x50 leupold spotter when weight is a concern, you can pick them up for about $200 on ebay if you watch over there, I know there is one for sale on monstermuleys right now. Very compact and lightweight.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
I made a small mistake, the new Leupold Gold Ring Compact scope is a 15-30x50 mm. I just looked at one and it was marked at $360.00. It is a great little scope and powerful enough for most situations.

Nic

Apr 10, 2011
North pole AK
I use the Leupold Gold Ring Compact 15-30x50 Spotting Scope for sheep hunting up here and I thenk its a grate backcountry scope.