Been on a pretty good run

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Been hitting the ducks pretty hard here lately. Took my dad out last Thursday, first time we had duck hunted together in years. It was a bunch of fun shooting sunshine mallards with our old Browning Auto 5's. We weren't set up very well at first light, but a quick move at 8 had up pretty much on the X. Over the next two hours, we had probably close to a thousand teal, wigeons and gadwalls land at our feet, while we waited to fill out on our mallards. Those Momarsh chair blinds are awesome.
IMG_3113 (1).jpg
The next morning was fairly uneventful. Hunted a different spot, and saw very few birds. Thankfully what saw worked great, and I killed every bird I shot at.
IMG_3112.jpg
Got out this morning, and killed my two bonus ducks right at shooting time, and decided to wait for the mallards.... 4 hours later, the mallards finally decided to work. Got tired of waiting on my last greenhead, so I wacked a teal, and headed home.
IMG_3120.jpg
Tomorrow is supposed to be cloudy/rainy, so the excellent decoying I've been enjoying will probably slow.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
Very nice. It was always sucks in ND when it freezes and the birds head south.

So birds seem to decoy better for you when it's sunny? Growing up, everyone always wanted clouds and wind but now I'm not so sure about that.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Very nice. It was always sucks in ND when it freezes and the birds head south.

So birds seem to decoy better for you when it's sunny? Growing up, everyone always wanted clouds and wind but now I'm not so sure about that.
I’ve never understood cloudy and rainy being ‘ducky’ days... I’ll take a good south wind with blue skies any day. You get the sun and the wind at your back, and some mallards are gonna be in trouble!

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
I?ve never understood cloudy and rainy being ?ducky? days... I?ll take a good south wind with blue skies any day. You get the sun and the wind at your back, and some mallards are gonna be in trouble!
We had some really good hunts on cloudy/drizzling/foggy days when I was growing up in the fields. The ducks would stay in the fields and fly all day. When I started hunting flooded timber on public land I found the opposite. A blue bird day was our best hunts when the ducks would leave the fields.