Ballistics Computer Program

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I was at the range today and was talking to another guy shooting and we got to talking about reloading. He uses a computer program (think he bought it) to work up his loads. I use my trust reloading manuals. Anybody use one of these programs? If so which one and how do you like it?

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I was at the range today and was talking to another guy shooting and we got to talking about reloading. He uses a computer program (think he bought it) to work up his loads. I use my trust reloading manuals. Anybody use one of these programs? If so which one and how do you like it?
Not me. I use manuals as a reference and go from there. I hate comparing different ones when some have a big varience. I try to see what their test rifle/pistol is. If it is a regular rifle, I trust it more. I think we are old school...
Which is fine by me.

BobT

Dec 1, 2011
Missouri Ozarks
I have a fair stack of manuals I use religiously, there is a program called "Quick Load" that seems pretty popular, especially with the wildcat crowd. I think it is a modern version of the Powleys Powder computer or whatever that slide rule gadget was called. I have one of those somewhere but I haven't seen it in years.

Bob

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
I have a fair stack of manuals I use religiously, there is a program called "Quick Load" that seems pretty popular, especially with the wildcat crowd. I think it is a modern version of the Powleys Powder computer or whatever that slide rule gadget was called. I have one of those somewhere but I haven't seen it in years.

Bob
I bought a slide ruler a few months back at a yard sale.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I bought a slide ruler a few months back at a yard sale.
I have one of those somewhere too. When I was in college we used it, but now just another one of those odd things you keep, and don't know why. Don't think I even remember how to use it..:p

I have looked at QuickLoad, pretty expensive @ $150.00. I do have a wildcat (a .220 Ackley Swift), but have worked out loads for it. The problem I am having is with Weatherbys, they are pretty sensitive to different powders. My manuals are several years old and some of the new powders are not listed for my .257. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with some of the other less expensive programs. It's either buy a new manual or a program that you can get updates for. It took me almost a year of tinkering with powder & bullets to come up with a couple of really great loads for my .300 Wby. I guess thats what reloading is all about, but sometimes it gets a bit frustrating!

boulderbeardog

Jul 25, 2012
Montana
You may try loaddata.com. It has over 300,000 different loads. I use it quite often because if you want to try a new powder that came out it will have the info almost immediately after its release. It also has a lot of the most current bullet reloading manuals uploaded on it along with all of the loads from handloader and rifle. I think its about 25 for year subscripton, but I can't remember due to I have it on auto renew.

Whisky

Dec 7, 2011
North Dakota
Quickload is probably what the guy was using. I have no personal experiene with it but a buddy does have it and has given me some data for one of my rifles. It's a very neat program, and very accurate.

I currently do things the old fashioned way, by popping primers....