Avian Flu

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Just talked to my cousin in southern California about waterfowl hunting in the Salton Sea area (a prime wintering area). My cousins own my Dad's old duck club in Imperial Valley. It has great duck and goose hunting, especial snow geese. There is a big outbreak of avian flu in the snow geese. They are finding dead geese in their ponds and grain fields and Calif F & G really doesn't know what to do. They have been gathering up the dead geese and burning or burying them. Wardens say they can be cited for waste of game. My cousin told them to come and pick the dead geese up and wardens refused. I told my cousin to put them all in the bed of a truck and dump them at the waterfowl refuge hdqtrs. So far they have found about 50 dead snow geese.

I told my cousin to make sure their dogs don't retrieve or mess with the dead geese. I also told him I would not shoot anymore snows this season. He told me some of the live geese are acting funny, swimming in circles and have trouble taking off the ground and water. Sure signs of distress.

Bad deal, especially when the state F & G won't help.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mallardsx2

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The whole thing is a mess for sure, Wyoming for it's part has taken the outbreaks seriously. One interesting one I just got an email on was about 50 ducks found dead on a pond, one Canada dead. The Canada was the only one with the Avian Flu but the others had all died from an algae infection they ate. Weird deal but Wyoming G&F did their part to deal with it.

Reactions: mallardsx2

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
Went down to the in-laws for Christmas in South Dakota and saw thousands of dead snows froze into the lakes. Was also a pile of dead ones in the ditch and on the side of the road. Sounded like they were falling out of the sky. Wish I would have taken a picture.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Interesting
My step son is a guide in Ca and he hasn’t said anything about this. I’ll ask him and report back. He is in the Buttes area and hunts rice fields.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
So it looks like it’s in Ca too. My step son saw it more in the early part of the season but they are still finding dead snows now in the late season.
So sad to see this happening!

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
I live and hunt in Nor Cal. I have seen plenty of birds left behind once a grind leaves. Usually u can hold your foul upside down and look for drainage out of the beak to confirm symptoms. Unfortunately this is not uncommon I have seen it much worst in years past but still significant this year.

Got these solo the other dayPXL_20221230_224107052.MP.jpg

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Coloradocowboy, would a call to Ducks Unlimited maybe help get the ball rolling on something, to help your cousins?

We’ve had a few reports of it in Idaho also this year

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Coloradocowboy, would a call to Ducks Unlimited maybe help get the ball rolling on something, to help your cousins?

We’ve had a few reports of it in Idaho also this year
Talked to my Cousin and he has got Ca F&G attention. Sunday afternoon he took about 10 snows that had died on the club over to Wister Hdqtrs and left them in front of the managers house. He also contacted the Feds who also have an office there.