Arizona unit advice

grantk

Dec 10, 2011
Hey y'all

I am thinking about tryin to chase these little guys with archery tackle. Can anyone provide any input for a good unit with a decent amount of deer. Not lookin for the biggest buck but more of a better opertunity to take an animal. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
grantk... You can find Coues in most of the mountains just north of the border, wether it be the Arivaca area, Santa Rita's or Chiracahuas... The Catalina's out of Tucson as well as unit 21 East of Phoenix, all have healthy populations of Coues... Make sure to invest in 15X56's on a tripod or you will be sorely disadvantaged... Focus on elevations from 4500 ft. to 7,000 ft. that will get you started in the right direction.

grantk

Dec 10, 2011
thanks i think i am going to get an archery tag and head down there in early january and check it out having never hunted az before. thanks for the input.

azhntr

Oct 4, 2011
southeastern, az
You might try units 31 @ 32, i live in safford and hunt these units they have a decent population. And make sure you put in for javelina if you plan to be here in january, that way you can hunt both.

vince

Banned
Jul 10, 2012
The units south of Tucson, along the border, hold a good concentration of Coues.
I'd be looking around Patagonia, Sierra Vista, and Nogales. I'll be down there during rifle season.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I've hunted unit 21 late achery deer in Dec./Jan. since the late 80's and never saw a coues whitetail in that unit until around 1992. I saw a little buck and was surprised. Have seen some really nice desert mulies there over the years. Last year we saw nothing but coues deer there except for 1 group of 6 muley does. Don't know what happened. My friend shot a nice 4x4 coues. For whitetail though, I see way more in unit 23.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
You might try units 31 @ 32, i live in safford and hunt these units they have a decent population. And make sure you put in for javelina if you plan to be here in january, that way you can hunt both.
Hey azhntr,
Do you know Pete Brawley in Safford ? I haven't spoke with him or hunted on his ranch in about 20 yrs.. I don't even know if he is still kickin. He had a huge ranch . Something like 100,000 aces. It went all the way to the Penicello (spelling ?) Mtns to the east almost to New Mex. border and almost to Mexico to the south. We hunted mulies.whitetail and javalina there. He had a lion problem there. Ran cattle. I have a lion story there but I'll spare you. I think that was unit 28 ???

az.mountain runner

May 22, 2012
Mesa Az.
One word of caution ,because of the drug trafficking ,and illegals I would check with border patrol, and local law enforcement before venturing to far south of tuson.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Yes i know who he is, went to school with his daughter, the ranch is in unit 28, it's where i hunt javelina and mule deer.
Hey azhutr !
I haven't checked this thread out for awhile. Its good to know he 's still alive and well ??? I knew it was in 28 and huge ! He was very kind to me. I saw plenty of deer and javelina on his ranch! I always wanted to go back there but never did.