Area 7 for elk

Darrin

Aug 20, 2011
NW Missouri
I have 2 points for area 7. What are my chances of drawing a non-resident tag next year with 3 points? Have been there with family in the past and would like to archery hunt this area.

TuffBuc

Feb 21, 2011
6 points for next year.

5 points this year(which was max) gave you a 51% chance to draw. Without being in the max points group your odds are only at 2.8% to draw. So basically you would be chasing a ghost by planning to ever draw.
However I drew a hard unit last year with max points and then drew again this year with about a 7% chance. So somebody has to draw!

Last edited:

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Thanks Tuffbuc. I'm new to the Western hunting, so I'm still trying to get the drawing aspect down for different states... So does this mean that Wyoming will eventually go down the same road as the premium Colorado elk units, with more people ending up with maximum points, and not having enough tags for them? Point creep?

TuffBuc

Feb 21, 2011
Yeah, but a portion of the alotted tags go towards a random draw that everybody gets thrown into. So you always have a chance to draw. That is how I drew this year. Point creep gets worse every year in the Eastmans and Huntinfool recommended units. There are a lot of guys holding onto max points. There is a break down on the WG&F website.

TuffBuc

Feb 21, 2011
Yeah, but it makes some of the other units better too. It just sucks when they put your unit in there!