Archery Hunts

JGuenth

Apr 13, 2012
Willows,Ca
New to the forum just wanted to get some opinions for archery hunts. X3a and X5a.Not looking for secret spots just your thoughts on these areas if you've hunted them or know of someones past experiences.Anything is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
The X zone hunts are premium zones. Harder to draw a tag but good for the public land hunter typically. I don't have much feedback on X3a or X5a other than seeing the harvest stats. Welcome to the forum JGuenth.

JGuenth

Apr 13, 2012
Willows,Ca
JNDEER thanks for the reply just kind of wanted to try something new you know what I mean. Get on some spot and stalk bow hunts.

JGuenth

Apr 13, 2012
Willows,Ca
Kevin appreciate the reply. Yeah, I have some points burning in my pocket, may hold out for the late season Covelo A30 archery hunt but just weighing my options you know. Thanks for the welcoming.

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
Good thread starting here. I've also been weighing my options on what to do with my CA deer points. An archery muley hunt would be cool, and it doesn't take that many points. But, for not that much more money and fewer points there are WAY better out of state archery muley hunts to be had. Holding out another year or two for the Covelo tag is another option, but on the other hand I've got a bunch of nice blacktails already and that hunt seems to be really hit and miss these days. I know it was awful last season. A24, the late season Monterey County hunt in my home area is a good one for the private properties I hunt down there... but time will be limited as I am in Sonoma County attending the University and I can't do as much trail camming and scouting to find the biggest bucks.

Looking forward to seeing more responses to your post JGuenth. And welcome to the Forum!

Todd

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
Ya the covelo tag is definitely a good option if u can hold out how many points do you have? But like BSA said there's is also good options in other states And the x zones are good options but pretty coveted tags But with anything just gotta put in the time and effort

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Here's my two cents. I was raised in northern Ca. during the mule deer haydays, hunted the X zones before they were X zones and saw a LOT of deer. IMO, the high profile units such as X-5B and X-5A are living on there reputation of years ago. The hunter success rates clearly prove this out. If your setting on a pile of points there are better options.

JGuenth

Apr 13, 2012
Willows,Ca
Hey guys thanks for all the responses they are great, I appreciate it. My 3PP should get me a decent Xzone archery tag. Covelo would be cool but like others say it so hit and miss. The thing I like about the Xzone archery tags is they are very limited compared to what I deal with archery hunting the Bzones. I can't wait to hopefully pull the string on a nice muley.

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
Ya that should give you good odds for a archery X zone the ones you are talking bout I think the minimum of points to get drawn are 3 or 2 would have to look at the regs and have check it out good luck I'm sure everyone is counting the days for draw results and seasons to start I know I am :)

Bubba19

Feb 22, 2011
I had the A30 the past season and can agree its hit or miss. The bigger bucks where still nocturnal and not ruttin has hard as the little bucks. If you were to wait for an A30 tag, I'd would wait and gain the points for M11. This will give you a little better odds when you do see Mr. Big. Good luck

JGuenth

Apr 13, 2012
Willows,Ca
All of this has been great I appreciate everyones input. This is my first time ever using some sort of a forum and you guys definitly made it a good experience for me. Thanks again.

H3Dad

Aug 12, 2011
Los Molinos Ca.
The Covelo hunt is a great hunt, you will see some really good blacktails. The reason the statistics change is that its not an easy hunt and some hunters get discouraged easy. It is an easy draw for a fantastic hunt in terms of the quality of animals that are available compared to X3A or X5A. Not that you can't find a great Mule deer in these units, the quality of bucks just aren't as good as the Covelo hunt. If you are just looking for good hunt for a decent buck then look toward the X Zones.Send me a private message if you draw the Covelo hunt.

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
I have applied for the covelo hunt in the past but was unsuccessful. The location of the covalo hunt is execelent for a willows resident. With 3pp u have a lot of choices. Don't let Rocco persuade u to hold out for more points. Use em if u got'em