Archery Elk

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I'm looking at the MRS for Wyoming elk, and am a little confused.. Most of the units start around the first of October, for example, unit 7 starts 10.15. I was under the impression that most of the units open in early September for archery only.. Am I missing something? Is the opening date listed for the units for all methods, and the entire state opens archery early, or do only a few units allow early Spetember archery hunting (type 9).

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

wyohorn

Jul 9, 2011
Rock Springs, WY
Alot of the units in Wyoming are open from September 1st thru the end of the month for bow only. There are some units that open for rifle in the later part of September. When ur map with the units on it flip it over and loook at the bottom right corner. It breaks down what units are open for archery.

kcaves

Jun 3, 2011
wyoming
in area 7 now, they have a rifle season for cows that starts august 15th, talk about gettin the elk moving around a bit early, I personally don't like it because it's been in the 80's and 90's everyday since the season started, idk about you but i don't think I could get a cow off the mountain quick enough to save the meat. pretty sad they have to open up nearly 6 months of elk season just to try and make there quota every year

wyohorn

Jul 9, 2011
Rock Springs, WY
I agree 100% with ya. Why take the chance of pushing those cows so early especially when they have calves that are only a couple months old. That's our game and fish at there best

kcaves

Jun 3, 2011
wyoming
its just gotten ridiculous up there, its hard to get away from ppl up there to hunt, I wish the magazines would stop publishing that area as one of the best for elk, I don't doubt that it is a great area and there are big bulls, but once rifle season starts, they all go down on private land where no one can get to them. I also don't like being able to hunt till the end of january, been with a few ppl that killed cows, I don't really like finding the fetus when i'm dressing one out, kinda sad

wyohorn

Jul 9, 2011
Rock Springs, WY
That's insane finding a fetus. Ya I don't understand it either. A elk season should run in the month of October, that's just my opinion. Is area 7 have a lot of private land around the base of the mountains?

birdhunter

May 8, 2011
Black Hills, Wy
It is almost all private around the base of the mountains. A lot of that land is used for wyomings WIA program though. The season does run a long time but they also need a lot of elk harvested each year. There is also a way to quarter your elk out without field dressing it. Hunted that area for cows the last two years and had a blast. The game and fish is actually doing as much as they can right now to control the elk.

kcaves

Jun 3, 2011
wyoming
I agree they need to harvest a lot of elk, but i also think that the state needs to step up and tell some of the landowners that if they want reimbursed for damages that the elk do to their hay and land, that they need to start letting ppl in there to keep em moving around and harvesting, not just lettin a buddy or two in there. Why help the rich get richer lol