Archery Elk an hour from Denver or so

walleyed

Feb 22, 2011
Central MN
I am looking at some units around Denver and am looking for general info like is it a zoo, a 4 point or better realistic, type of terrain, any past experinces you would share, would I be an idiot for choosing that zone. I have 3 pp going into this year but my brother who lives out there has none so I would have to keep that in consideration. I have of course looked at eastmans mrs and huntin fool (I dont know who is the fool me or who for paying 100 green backs for that) and done a little calling around. The zones I was looking at were 500, 501, 46, 20 but if you have other Ideas I would sure like those aswell. We would set up a base camp and spike out so we would be willin to work for an oppertunity for a bull. Thanks

Attachments

Raghorn Chaser

Mar 10, 2011
Granby, Colorado
Units 51, 501 are both close to denver, both are draw units so you will not be crowded. With 3 points I would also be considering unit 49 in the buffalo peaks area ( also a draw unit). There are some big bulls in these units and success rates are fairly good. If you want specifics you can pm me

COLOelkman

Mar 12, 2011
Lakewood, CO
Although I'm only just started bowhunting, many of the areas east of the divide require points as opposed to OTC. Once over the divide (an hour from Denver) most areas are OTC. I hunted a little in 37 and 371 last year a few times mainly cause it was not too far away and you could hunt the morning and be back by lunchtime assuming no luck!

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
I would recomend the units along the continental divide such as 18, 28 37, 371. I say this for one reason, if you are willing to put the miles on the boots at higher elevations around timbeline you have a shot at a four point bull as well as seeing some of the most beautiful country. Another plust to these units is if you pack in a spike camp and go in far enough you can get away from the majority of hunters.
I agree with Raghorn Chaser that unit 49 is a good unit if you want to use your points. For a non resident it takes 3-4, and resident 1-2. Unit 49 holds a lot of elk as well as some good bulls.

walleyed

Feb 22, 2011
Central MN
Thanks all for the responces. In God We Trust what you are sying is that we would be wasting our time on the front range and would be better of going farther in and hunting OTC? We arent looking for much just experence and a chance. "so you say theres a chance" Any body know of any packers out there that we might use either front range or divide. Thanks again.