Any Whitetail hunters out there?

MT Muley

Mar 22, 2011
Montana
I shot my first Whitetail last Thursday. It was a small doe, and I don't know that I have ever had a better tasting deer. I have already eaten all the backstraps and tenderloins! I am buying more doe tags to fill next week.

MIhunter

Jun 22, 2011
Chelsea, MI
I just got back from a week off hunting around home. What a great week. I saw 4 different shooters. Saw a shooter every day but 1. Including 1 at 50 yards and 1 at 30 yards the first night about 10 minutes apart that came from different directions. I needed either one of them to take about 5 more steps to clear obstructions and either of them would have been smoked. But no such luck. I guess that's why they got big. I've never had 2 shooters that close in the same night. Not sure I've ever even seen 2 shooters in the same day before. We get a lot of pressure. Exciting week but frustrating to be so close and not be able to seal the deal. Last couple days they were with does and couldn't pull them away for anything.

MOHunter

Jul 14, 2011
Joplin, MO
I hunted all yesterday morning and had 3 small bucks I could have jumped on from my stand, and I saw a bobcat! No shooters though. Last night my dad shot about a 140 7pt - right brow tine broken off! His neck was as swollen as they get. The rut is on here in SW MO.

ffd061

Feb 21, 2011
Glyndon, Minnesota
Just got done with our 9 day rifle season in Minnesota. Very disappointing, only seeing 1 nice shooter buck in 8 days of hunting. Plenty of does and small bucks to be had, big boys never made an appearance. Got them on trail cam, so I know they are there. Time to chase some roosters and then on to the late muzzleloader season. Good luck all!!

Elkcrazedfrk

Feb 21, 2011
I seemed to have totally lost the wind beneath my wings. I'm not even gonna go out and hunt for me. My son turned 12 recently so I am going to let him miss school on Weds. and were going to go out and try and find him a decent buck. He is really excited.

Reflex

Apr 21, 2011
Lincoln, NE
I missed my opportunity at the buck I was after last weekend. I rattled him in and everything was going to script. He was coming right where I wanted him to go and then he felt that something was wrong. Not sure how he did it, but he was within 1 or 2 steps from getting an arrow. He was upwind of me and was walking from an area that I have not set foot on yet this year, so he didn't smell my trail coming to the stand. I guess that's how deer get big! Hopefully I can still catch up with him yet this year.

Vanish

Nov 28, 2011
Gunbarrel, CO
Moved to Colorado last year finally. Missed qualifying for residency and didn't even consider a NR hunt due to costs. Well, after some research, we decided this year we would hunt Nebraska for whitetails (after archery elk in CO). It was a great time. We took 5 deer between the two of us and my wife got her very first, a 10 point buck. I'd be jealous if I wasn't so proud of her, and she finally has the hunting bug, something that didn't bite her when we lived in NY.

MIhunter

Jun 22, 2011
Chelsea, MI
Well I picked the right spot but it didn't work out exactly as planned with the bow 2 days before gun season. Got out kind of late, had to crawl into a spot with some cover as I was almost out and doe popped out of the corn so I set up on the ground next to a tree so as not to spook her. 2 minutes later she starts heading towards me when all of a sudden a little doe and a 140" 8 point (which is very big for where I hunt) come hauling down the hill straight at me. Swerved away at about 20 yards but on a dead run the whole time. Right spot just couldn't get a shot. Exciting but frustrating I couldn't stop him. 1 thing on his mind though. Since gun season started haven't seen any shooters and have heard that 2 of the 4 I've seen have been killed. Bummer.

fatkid

Nov 28, 2011
got me mine on nov the 5th . he was head down and had one thing on his mind as his cute ladie friend brought him 12 yrds from my ground blind .

Last edited:

fatkid

Nov 28, 2011
well guys its like this it was a good cold nite here and lots of ice on him he got a little rigimortis . back in the dad when i was a kid me and my dad was gun hunting and i shot a doe . we hung it at deer camp and hunted the next day tho older guys there put sticks in between the legs to hold the chest open . well the next day we only hunted half a day before heading home like always . well two of the old guys took my deer down and stood it up by dads truck. so ever since then if we have to leave the deer over nite to get pics and such i leave it like that so we can get a pic of it standing . i feel its one of the best ways to get a pic with your deer . no guts or blood and makes it look so real. everytime i post a pic like this people always ask my buddys always kid me about shooting the family deer lol

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I'm jealous! I have hunted whitetails a few times but it would be awesome to be able to hunt after work and buy tags over the counter. But in Nv that's not going to happen.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I stuck a nice doe Monday night after work, but still haven't filled my buck tag. Our archery season goes until the end of the year, and this is my favorite time to hunt, so as soon as we get a couple inches of snow I'll be looking for a nice buck.