Any advice on First Aid Kits

Midwest to Outwest

Apr 17, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I do mostly solo backcountry hunts and have a bunch of First Aid stuff put together but figure there is an easier more space and weight efficient way. What are some essentials I may be missing in my homemade kit? Or if anyone has insite on prepackaged, everything I need, lightweight "Just-in-case" kits I would appreciate it.

T43

I carry a quick clot pouch, Botach Tourniquet, electrical tape, benadryl, some IB and a few IB night time (sleep is good), mole skin bandaids, a roll of sterile dressing and I always have a little can of bag balm. It may sound funny but the good old green can will work for anything from cuts to burns to chafed or dry skin. I wish they made a less smelly version but I still don't leave home without it. I don't carry it in a kit per say I just stuff it in nooks and crannies where it will fit. I do keep the tourniquet easily accessible because I figure if I ever needed it I wouldn't want to have to dig for it.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
It depends on your level of comfort. I'm a paramedic and somewhat redneck resourceful. But I always have some alcohol wipes (ya this will hurt, a lot), blister aids, duct tape, mole skin, band aids a few of each sizes, anitseptic oinment, a few vicodens, few rolls of kling, and a lot of tylenol PM's (helps me sleep at night). Good thing about the Tylenol PM's is the PM part is benadryl for alergic reactions. Remember as long as you can get the bleeding stopped you have about 8-11 hours before the ED can't stich up a wound because of infection. If need be, I can make it off the hill 6 miles back in less than six hours.

Twojump

Feb 21, 2011
Keizer Oregon
Look at www.adventuremedicalkits.com there is an article in this months Eastmans Hunting Journal in the "Gearing up for the Backcountry" section.... in there they have a product from Adventure Medical Kits that will have what you need. Looks like pretty god stuff. I'm going to try it this season...

Midwest to Outwest

Apr 17, 2011
Glendale, AZ
All good advice. I agree that I don't want to cut out anything I may need. I do feel like this will help me to add some organization and depth to my kit. Yeah I did also see the info in EHJ on the www.adventuremedicalkits.com website just after I posted the question. It is always interresting to see what everone else carries. Thanks guys.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Pray it is a dry bite!!! If not, keep the heart above the bite sight, that way gravity works with you to pool the venom so that it takes longer to spread. No ice packs, no turniquit, never tried to cut between the fang marks and then suck out the venom. Best thing sit tight, and call for help, or send someone to get help. Ultimate treatment is found in the ER. Last I herd most adults that die from rattle snake bites do so from Sepsis (big word for infection), or allergic reactions.

Midwest to Outwest

Apr 17, 2011
Glendale, AZ
DO-Wash with soapy water, identify the type snake if possible, if unsure go to ER asap, keep affected area below heart, keep heart rate down. If you need to go a long distance(out of the backcountry)-Splint the limb to prevent overusing. This will help prevent the venom from spreading so fast. DO NOT- use ice, tourniquet or cut and suction.

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
DO-Wash with soapy water, identify the type snake if possible, if unsure go to ER asap, keep affected area below heart, keep heart rate down. If you need to go a long distance(out of the backcountry)-Splint the limb to prevent overusing. This will help prevent the venom from spreading so fast. DO NOT- use ice, tourniquet or cut and suction.
Do you know what the reasoning is behind not using the restricter band, cut and suction, that was taught for years?

Midwest to Outwest

Apr 17, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Those methods have proven to have more risks than benefits and do not have much success in stopping or slowing the spread of the venom. Cut and suction only increases the chance of infection and restricting blood flow can lead to severe tissue damage or the need for amputation of the limb. As in any emergency, remaining calm from the beginning, can be the most important factor in the outcome being a positive one. I hope you never have to find out.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
Old formula super glue for cuts, antibiotics, morphine, surgical tape, rope, bandaids. With that you can fix everything but dead.