Antelope success unit 32

Alpha Male

Feb 28, 2014
New Jersey
Well when I started buying points 5 years ago I wasn't sure when I would go I just just knew that I would go eventually. this year I decided to cash in my points for my 50th birthday. Having never been to this part of the country and never antelope hunting I debated whether to hire a guide or not then I said to myself I'm a DIY guy that's how I'm going to do it so I purchased the Onyx app and started scouting . After numerous phone calls to the Wyoming Game and Fish and a lot of research on internet forums I decided that Unit 32 would be a good one for me especially since I don't camp and it's close proximity to Casper Wyoming for lodging. I arrived two days early on June 23rd giving me some time to scout. The biologist kept trying to steer me towards the hunter Management areas because it would be easier for an out-of-state person thatdoesn't know them their way around. I scouted some of the areas that they told me to go but I also scouted some BLM land in the southwest corner and some additional BLM land in the center of the unit and located some good bucks in one area where I decided I'd be opening morning. Well opening day at shooting light I started walking from my truck and immediately spotting a buck and he spotted me starting to blow but he didnt take off I guess first day of firearm he was less cautious. I decided to make a stalk because he was two ridges away.So when I came up over the first ridge he had move to the top of his ridge and proceeded over and out of sight. As I walked forward debating what to do I spotted another buck and I immediately recognized him right away it was the really tall buck that i saw when i was scouting 2 days ealier.i dropped down and started to crawl then got into prone position but the grass and sage was too high. I then stood up attempted to shoot off hand and missed.Follow up shot also missed. Feeling dejected i went and sat over a water hole until 2pm. At that point I decided I would get something to eat then head to my other spot in the center of the unit all along the way I figured I would do some spot and stalk when I arrive to my other location sure enough there was two herds of antelope when was moving out of range and the other hanging right by the road about 240 yards I stopped behind a bush got out of my truck and started getting all the gear in order to begin my stalk. I slid my gear under the fence and belly crawled underneath set my gun on top of my pack I barely had enough clearance I actually had to shoot at a silhouette of the buck I could not see his complete body. After the shot he ran about 30 yards if that and fell backward. Thanks for reading I hope you enjoy the pics.

Attachments

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Alpha I enjoyed the write up on your hunt, sounds like you had a fun time. Will all the crawling around to get into shooting position it sounds like your ready for the Army?:D It can be tough when you miss a shot, way to stick with it and make it happen. Congratulations on a nice Pronghorn.

Alpha Male

Feb 28, 2014
New Jersey
Alpha I enjoyed the write up on your hunt, sounds like you had a fun time. Will all the crawling around to get into shooting position it sounds like your ready for the Army?:D It can be tough when you miss a shot, way to stick with it and make it happen. Congratulations on a nice Pronghorn.
Thanks for the nice comments I'm really happy with this one.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Nothing like the experience for a guy not experienced with the West on their first antelope hunt. If you are like me I was making plans to return before I left. Great country and nice buck congratulations. You managed to take a lot better photos of you first buck than I did.

Reactions: Alpha Male

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
It's a neat area and if anyone draws it and comes out to scout, make it during the Wyoming machine gun and cannon shoot held in the area. You can shoot full auto almost anything for a reasonable fee.
Nice buck!

Reactions: Yooper Bob