An old friend comes home.

ThreeTikkas

Mar 24, 2012
Back many years ago. 1977 maybe. My father and I went to an auction.One of the local gun shops was going out of business. We bid on and won a Remington 788 in 308. An ugly duckling that was a fact,but it shot quite well. I used it a couple years and ended up putting a M70 XTR 270 on lay away as my next rifle. Dad offered to buy a scope for the 270 in exchange for the 788. Being young and broke,I accepted his offer.He and I were hobby gunsmithing at the time,so he decided to "Gussy up" old ugly duck. It took some time,but he eventually got her done. After removing the sprayed on varnish and walnut finish,he checkered and inlaid her with some brass. Skeletal grip caps were all the rage at the time so one was in order. So it was written so it shall be done. Some walnut stain and a little tru oil on the old birch plank and she was done. A pretty nice looking 788.
He shot a deer or two with it. Stored it mostly. Then a young fella related to Dad's woman friend at the time wanted to buy her. Damn if he didn't do it too! I was a little upset that it got out of the family,but the fella was a genuinely nice guy and very careful with his belongings. Low and behold about a week ago,he showed up at Dad's place,with the 788,in just the same condition it was in 10 years ago! He wanted Dad to have it back as he could no longer hunt. What a super gesture. This time Dad brought her over. It was time for her to come home. Here are a few pics of the old girl. I hope the devoted 788 folks don't mind the alterations. I like them.

Last edited:

ThreeTikkas

Mar 24, 2012
Thanks fellas. That was his 3rd rifle checkering job. Working evenings after a day of tool and die is hard on the eyes. The man is patient beyond belief.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Very nice. I to own a 788 ugly duck in .223, handed down from my father to me and from me to my son for varmants. Not much to look at but shoots very well with hand loads.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
That is a pretty cool story. I'm glad to see she made her way home after all that time. I think my buddy has one in .243 but it doesn't look near as nice as that one.

i.hunt

Jul 31, 2012
Adirondack Mountains, NY
Nice looking rifle congrats on getting her back.... I had a 788 in .308 that bit the dust in a trade for an 1100... I was 12 or 13 at the time it was my first high power rifle and there were no rifle seasons in South Jersey, the 1100 got much more use that's for sure though......