Adjusting to the Elevation

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Question guys. So I’ve been to CO many times but never for hunting. Always winter or summer trips. I will be getting there We’d August 28 and then Hiking in Friday August 30. Should I take a hike on some local trails Thursday to get acclimated or just relax and maybe drive and do some spotting around the unit?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Where are you going to be at before you hike in? If anything a couple of good walks around the area that you are going to be at will help your body get acclimated to the altitude and even a couple of short hikes will help out a lot.

Just remember, drink lots of water and stay away from the alcohol. Or if you would like a few beers won't hurt, but don't overdo it. Keep some aspirin with you and if you start getting headaches take a couple and slow down and rest.

Reactions: archeranthony

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Where are you going to be at before you hike in? If anything a couple of good walks around the area that you are going to be at will help your body get acclimated to the altitude and even a couple of short hikes will help out a lot.

Just remember, drink lots of water and stay away from the alcohol. Or if you would like a few beers won't hurt, but don't overdo it. Keep some aspirin with you and if you start getting headaches take a couple and slow down and rest.
I will be at our house in Fraser. I was thinking I could go do the lost lake hike. It’s a easy hike to wake the lungs and legs up.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
1st 24 hours dont over do it, let your blood increase its red blood cell count with mininmal physical stress.

Hydrate. Water with Enduro is my go to.

Increase your red blood cell count by eating correctly the 72 hours prior to getting to altitude
  1. red meat, such as beef.
  2. organ meat, such as kidney and liver.
  3. dark, leafy, green vegetables, such as spinach and kale.
  4. dried fruits, such as prunes and raisins.
  5. beans.
  6. legumes.
  7. egg yolks.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
1st 24 hours dont over do it, let your blood increase its red blood cell count with mininmal physical stress.

Increase your red blood cell count by eating correctly the 72 hours prior to getting to altitude
  5. beans.
  6. legumes.
  7. egg yolks.
Nailed it. Dont be my buddy that got life-flighted out of Meeker 2 yrs ago with pulmonary edema.

• Wow

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio

5. beans.
  6. legumes.
  7. egg yolks.
Solid Advice here. Simply hydrate and take it easy the initial 24 hours and you'll be fine. Not sure of your hunt elevation, but just take your time and enjoy the view going in. You'll be fine. (and take chap stick because you'll be breathing more even on the level at elevation and it'll keep your lips from splitting)
I live/play at 800/,1500 feet and I don't notice much of a difference until I cross 6,500-7,000'. The better shape you are in, the better you'll feel. You will be fine.
Go cut a tag and take lots of pictures.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama

5. beans.
  6. legumes.
  7. egg yolks.
I've never read that but it makes sense. Thanks for the tip Slugz!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Drink lots of water. Drink lots of water. Drink lots of water.

1st day you should go slow and take it easy and try not to loose your breath much.

Dont be my buddy that I had to take to steamboat ER in 2016.

He though he was going to have a heart attack and we where miles from the truck.

I looked at him and told him he better make his peace with god.

Not so sure he will ever go back to 11,000 and hunt with me again. lol

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Mallardsx2,
I bet that was a bit scary for the both of you! Sounds like he survived.
So... did you cut any tags?!
:p

Definitely take it easy the first day. They say slow breathing makes your body adjust better.... so like sleeping or relaxing will adjust better. I have had altitude sickness, its horrible. This year I am going to try this Altitude Advantage from Wilderness Athlete. I have heard it has helped a lot of guys adjust a lot easier. I live at 700 feet and we are heading straight up to 10k this year.... so I am a little concerned. We usually sleep a night at 7,000 feet and it helps.

https://wildernessathlete.com/products/altitude-advantage

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
He was in panic mode for sure.

I went back in the next day with my other friend who was with me and we almost killed a bull. The following day I called a different bull in and he got him. Then I hunted the entire muzzleloader season and never cocked the hammer once. lol

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
ginko balopa I think its called,,any pharmacy vitamin isle is supposed to help,,i take them a week before high country hunts over 10 k

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I have been going from near sea leval to hunt at 9k-11k almost every year since the the late 80s. A few things I have learned. Start drinking a lot of water if you dont already. Try to stay a night somewhere close to the altitude you will be hunting before you head in.
Don't be in a rush. It will take 3-4 days till you really feel like you can get around like you should. Keep drinking water. Most headaches will come from dehydration. Take your time and enjoy yourself.