Above the timber

Rob P

Mar 10, 2011
Last year was my first experience hunting above the timberline in SW Colorado. Opening weekend there was a thunder storm and it rained about 10 or 12 hours straight. We set up our tent right on the edge of the timberline for fear of being struck by lightning, which was lighting up the sky. I'd never been so close to it before. We managed to stay safe and dry for the most part. For you more experienced people, where do u set up your camp in those situations? Do u camp up as high as possible or do u stay in the timber?

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Camp as high as possible. Invest in a good weather station Suunto makes a good one, learn how to use it and when it tells you its gonna storm and you can see it coming, get your stuff of the high spot and down into a valley or basin. Thats what I do and don't camp to close to trees, I've seen some pretty impressive tree's snapped in half by those high mountain winds. Hopefully this helps.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I'm with woodtick. Get lower on the mountain and away from the trees. Not only will they break, but lightening likes them too.