2017 CA archery pig hunt

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
My wife and i had a crazy two days of pig hunting on a property where nobody has hunted them in 6 years the hunt was archery only eqp can be used. We found them living in a jungle of thorns brush poison oak fallen logs thick stuff but the pigs would run out in the clear to eat the acorns under the oak trees but after you shot one it would run back in the thicket we went in after the first one we shot only to be meet by a vary pissed off bunch of pigs one charged us i shot it at 10' with my bow the next time we went into retrieve a pig my wife would track the blood wile i stood gaurd with a knife you never new what hole they would run out of. One of the pigs we where tracking ended up in a tunnel of brush about 3'high i crawled in with a knife it looked dead NO it jumped up trying to bit me i stabbed it and grabbed the hind leg it was screaming so loud i was concerned other pigs would come to help it we high tailed it out of there . On the last night we where driveing out i looked back at the thicket we where hunting in there where at least 30 large pigs running up the hill into the oak trees i drove to the ridge grabbed my bow and ran about 400yrds down the ridge i spotted them running from oak tree too oak tree looking for acorns i waited behind a tree they got to 45 yrds and i shot a big bore and of corse he ran down in a canyon and died. Looking back not knowing how many large pigs where in the thicket taking my wife in there and not haveing a gun for backup was dumb
this pic was the biggest one of 8 pigs we killed
Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 4.15.24 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-23 at 4.14.50 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-23 at 4.09.29 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-23 at 4.14.19 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-22 at 10.19.01 PM.jpg