16a NM Archery Elk - question

UtahMountainMan

May 23, 2012
Hey guys - 31 year old bowhunter from Utah here. This is my FIRST season I will ever be hunting outside of Utah and I am super excited.

I drew the 2nd season 16a archery elk tag.

I have had so many emotions the last several days. Excitement, anxiety, anticipation, worry, lol.
It is about a 12 hour drive for me to get down to the unit. I have NEVER been there before.

I am going down this weekend for the first time to actually see the unit and hike around for 3 days looking for areas I may want to hunt.

I am looking for some help from someone who is willing. I am not a trophy hunter who is going for a 380" bull or broke. I would shoot a 320" bull on day one if I can get to one. I know that is not a given.

I have a few questions for any of you who can help....

What is a better strategy there in general during the middle of september, sitting water or locating with calls and stalking in? (I am more of a mobile hunter usually)

What are some of the mistakes you have made in this unit in the past that you could help me avoid?

If anyone has any knowledge of specific canyons/drainages that I can start scouting I would REALLY appreciate it...
PM me if you prefer.

I can help with Utah Limited Entry deer and elk info. I have very familiar with much of utah and have extensive knowledge of 3 or 4 LE units here. I am MORE than willing to help.

Thanks in advance guys! I am treating this as a once in a lifetime tag and am going to make the most of it...
PM ME IF YOU PREFER

Earl aka UtahMountainMan