Spam posters

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Anybody else notice the dramatic increase in spam posts?

ScottR, IKIC, and other moderators: do you want us to report them or just wait until y'all see them?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
All the forums are being over ran by them. I'm a mod on 3 of them and wipe out at least several each day.

Then there are the spammers that join a forum and are semi active for quite a while before they start their jibberish on the forum. I've watched quite a few do this even when members report the junk that they are posting. I just tell the members that my hands are tied until they break the rules,which they eventually do to get banned.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
All the forums are being over ran by them. I'm a mod on 3 of them and wipe out at least several each day.

Then there are the spammers that join a forum and are semi active for quite a while before they start their jibberish on the forum. I've watched quite a few do this even when members report the junk that they are posting. I just tell the members that my hands are tied until they break the rules,which they eventually do to get banned.
Seems like you need to add a fourth site....

Reactions: Alabama

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
would the mods prefer we do not comment in the spam threads and just report them? does our commenting make your job harder? or do you care either way?

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
would the mods prefer we do not comment in the spam threads and just report them? does our commenting make your job harder? or do you care either way?
No it’s ok you can comment. Some are pretty funny.
The most you can do is report the spam in the comment of a thread. When they post a new thread we see them right away. When they are in the comments it’s more difficult
Thanks

Reactions: kidoggy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I reported several this morning.

Just curious but is there a way to vet new members so these people can be eliminated? Maybe a chain of questions that only someone with outdoor experience would know and if they don't answer correctly their I.P. is banned?

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
We have that o
I reported several this morning.

Just curious but is there a way to vet new members so these people can be eliminated? Maybe a chain of questions that only someone with outdoor experience would know and if they don't answer correctly their I.P. is banned?
We have similar on our Social pages but plenty that have gotten through still post. Usually I remove all spam every morning. Also when I can I check throughout the day and remove spam from the forum.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Not trying to re-state the obvious, but whatever you folks are doing, isn't working. Just saying. lol

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
to be fair, evil can't be stopped! all that can be done is to stand against it to slow the spread.

what would mallard do? just saying. lol.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I’m up daily usually about 2am to remove most then again around 5am. Also many time throughout the day.
It’s Saturday so I just removed them all.
There isn’t mush more we can do but remove them when we see them.
There has been much more in the last couple months then before so not sure why that is but it’s on most all forums out there. Also social media platforms.