The 40 acre deer refuge 2022

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Something was doing the river-dance around my pan at one of my coyote sets...could be a fox or it could have been a house cat....not sure...

Then I got this guy.....and no, he didn't want to be friends.

Oddly enough, all three coons are from the same trap. Even though there is another one 10 feet away.....

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
My neighbor has been trying to trap some yotes. He hasn't caught any yet. The traps i'm sure are all iced in now, we had a couple inches of sleet with about a foot of snow on top of that.

• Wow
Reactions: shootbrownelk

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I got 3 inches of rain at my house last night so I am sure my 4 coyote traps are washed out and my dirt holes are filled with water. So much to do so little time.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
When PA legalized the use of snares for water trapping beaver 20 years ago I was excited and I ran out and bought a dozen of them. I caught a 40 pound beaver a few days later. He 100% destroyed the snare and I gave them up. I still have them, I just dont use them.

Personally, I'm not a fan of snares and body grip traps for out of water trapping. They are too in-discriminatory for my liking. If my dog got into one I would never forgive myself. Plus, my wife would then likely kill me in my sleep.

I am only trapping my 40 acres and realistically I have traps covering only 15% of that property at this point just to play it super safe to prevent catching our Lab on his morning "poop walk".

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Deer are not that interested in the turnips and radishes here for some reason. I'm going to switch to something that does not have those seeds in it this spring. It may have helped the soil but it didn't hold the deer for me.