Ducks

BossBrott

Mar 4, 2012
Colfax,CA
image.jpgWho's going where? Have no resis in hand, so prolly head to the grizz. Goddamn politicians have the fed refuges closed, so options are limited. These two girls are so fired up for duckseason, its gonna be a great year!

Last edited:

chiefgobbler

Jun 26, 2011
Central California
I am fortunate to belong to a club near Los Banos. Opening weekend is usually a blast. I have some friends who drew NWR and are scrambling to find other places to hunt. Cole Duck 2012 002.jpgMy Grandson is hot to hit it again this year.

6x7

Oct 9, 2013
My kids drew a planted pheasant hunt this Saturday so no duck hunting for us.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
We don't open up until Oct 26th here.. My new dog has got me really stoked for duck season again. I got burned out on duck hunting a few years back, and have probably only been twice in the last 3-4 years...

But.. This dog was born to duck hunt, and I'm not gonna be the reason she doesn't get to go.. I bought a sweet new mud motor last week, and have been re-rigging decoys the last few days. I picked up my calls for the first time in a long while tonight.

I'm pumped! 10 days!

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
Going to Wister to set up my trailer for the season got no ressi for Sat.but thats all right then going deer hunting sunday D11 or A31

Cadeerhunter

Oct 30, 2013
I hit Mendota opening day. Was lucky I got in with no res. shot 2 spoons and 2 teal. Not a lot of ducks were flying for opening day

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
Hey Fink if the greenheads get too thick just send'em farther south. We open the 23rd. First time I've had water for the opener in a few years

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
When they start showing up, I'll be sure to advise them to head on down to LA. My black dog picked up her first greenheads on Monday morning.. I almost forgot how much I love shooting mallards.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Central Flyway update... Been wackin' em pretty hard for a few weeks now. Last weekend saw the first big redlegged mallards of the season and a few divers (one redhead and some buffleheads). Been swatting limits on the reservoirs and waiting for the rivers to heat up once the freeze gets deeper. Can't wait! The pup is stacking up some great experience and becoming a true duck dog!

BossBrott

Mar 4, 2012
Colfax,CA
image.jpgOut here in the pacific flyway were still hunting in tshirts. Temps are in the high 70's, and we haven't seen decent rainfall in quite awhile. What water is available is shooting ok, although November is typically a shitty waterfowling month, much better upland weather. Come December, hopefully we get some weather to knock the skeeters out. Here's a pic of my kids in our new honey hole. It's produced a couple dozen mallards, sprig, and a few specks.

Last edited:

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Had a really fun hunt yesterday with a good friend. Ended up with full limits of 4 GWT, 7 mallards, and 1 widgeon that I just couldn't pass up. I'm not sure why I waited as long as I did to get a dog. I love hunting over her, she's a machine... Still sky watching after the hunt is over, and the photo session begins.

DSC_0599.jpgDSC_0606.jpgDSC_0611.jpg

BossBrott

Mar 4, 2012
Colfax,CA
Nice photos Fink! Looks to be a great spot. Flooded corn? As for the dog, with cover like that it would be an injustice NOT to have a dog.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
mOLLY & GEESE ii.jpgmOLLY & GEESE.jpgmOLLY & GEESE.jpgMolly fishing on the pond (2).jpgMolly in June 2010.jpgmOLLY.jpg
It is hard for me to imagine hunting w/o a dog. Had my Lab Molly for 13 1/2 years. She was the best dog I've ever had. Easy to train, good disposition and very intelligent....naturally pointed too. Had to put her down in June. Hardest thing I've had to do in a long time.

Had a really fun hunt yesterday with a good friend. Ended up with full limits of 4 GWT, 7 mallards, and 1 widgeon that I just couldn't pass up. I'm not sure why I waited as long as I did to get a dog. I love hunting over her, she's a machine... Still sky watching after the hunt is over, and the photo session begins.

View attachment 7101View attachment 7102View attachment 7103