2012 Ca. Big Valley antelope

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Here's my buck I got opening afternoon. Almost pulled the trigger on him opening morning but left my range finder in truck and knew he was at least 500 yds. I'm fine with 500 yds with my 300 Rem Ultra Mag and 24x scope. Do it often and know my 30 in. Drop . But I didn't know if was over 500. I scooted my but over about a foot to clear some twigs and the doe's above him busted me and they all took off. Came back about 1:30 pm and the doe's were lower and now in the hay field but I didn't see the buck. I finally spotted him working his way down the hill towards them. I had made it to the trees by the creek without them seeing me again . I was a little further down and the were feeding/walking from my right to left I couldn't see the buck yet but could see the does through trees. I was in the open outside the trees sitting with bipod out ready. The does came in view and I thought for sure they would see me and bust. This time I had a white t shirt over my shoulder. Trick I learned in Wyoming many yrs. ago. The buck came down to the does and was checking them out. I took both of my range finders this time. I couldn't get my Leupold to range so I tried my trusty Leica. First range bam 405 yds. Perfect. Waited until he cleared the does and was broadside and hammered him. I made a good friend with the rancher. We talked and told stories for 3 days. He was 85 yrs old and didn't look 70. I don't think he gets to talk to anybody new often. I asked for permission to hunt his ranch and he said why sure ! You are the first one to ask and its all your's until your done. Nobody else allowed to hunt. Most all other ranchers said yes also but all said that they had a couple other hunters coming in . I didn't even see any antelope on his property but I knew there would be and he told me there were. Found them next morning right off. The rancher was tickled I got one. He had a gamble hook and helped me hang it in the tree. Brought his hose down from house and let me hose it off before and after skinning/caping. Wouldn't let me haul off the discarded pieces. Showed me where to put them for the magpie's and coyote's. He even let me park my trailer/Razor at his house so I didn't have to haul it around for 3 days. My turbo in my truck took a dump on the way up. Thought it was fuel pump. Lots off fun going up through the Sierra's on hwy 395. Went back hwy 5 . The Grapevine was hard getting up . Had to use 3rd gear most of the way but it was an hour and a half quicker with 12.5 hrs. and 740 miles compared to 14 hrs 700 mi.. Best part of trip was meeting and talking to the rancher. I made a new friend and he said come back when you can and for deer. Told him that might take a few years for X3A. Iceing on the cake was getting the buck, which by the way, was better than I thought he was and was surprised when I walked up to him.
I have some on digital camera I haven't down loaded yet. They have my ugly mug in then that I had the rancher take for me.
He has 7 in. base's. 5 in. prong's but is lacking in length. You all can guess. I never had cared about score's or record books. If they are a good representitve of the species, that's good enough for me. I won't go to my grave sad because I didn't kill a 200 in buck or 400 in bull or 80 in antelope. I like to hunt too much for that and like to kill and eat them. Guess you don't call that trophy hunting... It's all good !
View attachment 3982Phone pics 484.jpgPhone pics 482.jpgPhone pics 474.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Glad you did ! Been jerkin around trying to load pics for an hour ! I've been trying to get the first one you had on there 5 times. Won't download. Maybe 5 is the limit ? your's are bigger even after double clicking on the ones I downloaded.
Thanks for doing it !

Last edited:

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Absolutely great prongs! Really respectable buck, I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Thanks CC !
I only 5 bucks the whole time. I saw one by itself 50 yards from the road that was a couple inches taller but didn't have as good of base's and prong's. Couldn't find the land owner either. That was on opening moring comiing back from getting busted by the one I killed.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Nice buck, he looks like he carries the mass pretty well. Meeting new friends beats a Boone and Crockett animal any day.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Hey Don! That is a really nice goat. Looks like an old guy. Very unique heavy horns. Now everybody will be putting in for Big Valley.
Hey Saw, Thanks! He was missing his two center front teeth. No BS. Those are the two Fish and Game want you to send them. LOL !
I emailed Joe Hobbs and told him I'm sending those two and the two outside the two also. I think the mainly care about the root ???
Hey, I served my time waiting to draw ! Let them start applying. There will be bigger ones killed than that. There was a cowboy from Morro Bay there that drew the 2nd alternate ! I had the first alternate. He took a pic with his phone through his spotting scope and emailed it to me. We brought it up on my laptop. It was bigger than mine. He didn't get him opening day. I left the next day. He said he would email me if he shot one. He was going big or going home. He said had enough goat heads on the wall. I said me too but I bet not from Ca.. I think on last day I'd take a lesser buck than go home empty handed after driving total of 1500 miles and $$$ and waiting 10 plus yrs.. Heck, I did first day. LOL ! 8 tags and on Jr. tag. I met 4 of them including the Jr.. I heard one other hunter shot one opening day. The Jr. kid shot at and missed one he told me.

BobT

Dec 1, 2011
Missouri Ozarks
Nice Buck Don! I would not hesitate to shoot him. Looks like he has a really pretty cape too. I'd say he was worth a little nick on the digit :) Sounds like you also made a new friend, always a plus.

Bob