Bullet choices?

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Do you guys like the Barnes TTSX bullets for their accuracy the most? How about the issue of all copper over lead core? I've eaten a lot of wildlife killed with lead core bullets, and except for being fat, bald and ugly, it hasn't effected me much!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'm with you on the lead in animals and I have ate a lot of meat with lead in it. I cracked a tooth last fall because of the steel shot in a bird when I bit down on it, I'm not sure if it would of been OK with a lead pellet or not.

I just switched to the Barnes all copper because of the accuracy that I get with them in all of my rifles. Back in 2000 when I sighted in my .340 Weatherby I tried the Barnes X bullet factory load and I couldn't believe at how accurate they were over the Nosler Partition and Hornady factory loads. I then gradually changed over all of my rifle loads to them.

Reactions: memtb and AKaviator

memtb

Do you guys like the Barnes TTSX bullets for their accuracy the most? How about the issue of all copper over lead core? I've eaten a lot of wildlife killed with lead core bullets, and except for being fat, bald and ugly, it hasn't effected me much!

For hunting, we’ve used Barnes’s exclusively since the early ‘90’s. Wife’s rifle....338 WM, 225 grain TTSX’s @ 2950 FPS, mine.....375AI, 250 TTSX’s @ 3130 FPS. They have worked very well for us! memtb

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Here is what my logic has been for a very long time, take it for what it is worth. Would you rather be hit with a baseball or a pool que both flying at similar speeds. Both are pretty similar in size but one weighs quite a bit more, which is why I will generally try to pick the top 20% of the bullet weights that I can get in whatever caliber I am shooting. For instance, my .300 Win Mag and Weatherby Mag have 200 grain bullets, 180 grain for my .30-06 etc.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Here is what my logic has been for a very long time, take it for what it is worth. Would you rather be hit with a baseball or a pool que both flying at similar speeds. Both are pretty similar in size but one weighs quite a bit more, which is why I will generally try to pick the top 20% of the bullet weights that I can get in whatever caliber I am shooting. For instance, my .300 Win Mag and Weatherby Mag have 200 grain bullets, 180 grain for my .30-06 etc.
Makes sense. What if you’re shooting cooper?

Reactions: memtb

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
That's reasonable! Lead core or all Copper? I'm trying to stir up conversation on this thread! :p

Reactions: memtb

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
I'm shooting either Barnes TTSX, TSX or LRX in all of my rifles, with the exception of two. I've mixed in a few other bullets here and there but always seem to come back to the Barnes for their accuracy and on-game performance. With that said, I'm going to use the 130 gr Sierra Game Changer in my 6.5x68mm this year simply because of the better ballistic data vs the 127 gr Barnes LRX. Both of these loads will shoot 0.75" or less in my rifle and to the same POI.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I believe you can get very similar performance from slightly lighter copper bullets vs heavier lead core bullets. Instead of using reduced recoil ammo for my kids when they were young I always used light for caliber barnes bullets to keep recoil down. In my experience the lighter copper (barnes) bullets performed equal to heavier lead core. For instance 120 grain 7mm copper bullet performed equal or better than 140 grain lead core in my limited experience. The 100 grain in my 257 wby is absolutely spectacular, however that is all I've really shot out of the 257.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I believe you can get very similar performance from slightly lighter copper bullets vs heavier lead core bullets. Instead of using reduced recoil ammo for my kids when they were young I always used light for caliber barnes bullets to keep recoil down. In my experience the lighter copper (barnes) bullets performed equal to heavier lead core. For instance 120 grain 7mm copper bullet performed equal or better than 140 grain lead core in my limited experience. The 100 grain in my 257 wby is absolutely spectacular, however that is all I've really shot out of the 257.
This is exactly my thought. I was shooting 168 gr lead out of my 7 Mag. I’ve switched to 145 gr cooper with equal accuracy and better overall performance. Both rounds are handloads and shoot 1/2 MOA. It’s about 150 FPS faster as well but that wasn’t the reason for my change. But it doesn’t hurt... 🤓

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
This is exactly my thought. I was shooting 168 gr lead out of my 7 Mag. I’ve switched to 145 gr cooper with equal accuracy and better overall performance. Both rounds are handloads and shoot 1/2 MOA. It’s about 150 FPS faster as well but that wasn’t the reason for my change. But it doesn’t hurt... 🤓
This is interesting. I got 4 boxes of 2 different brands of .270 copper bullets given to me. Now I have more interest in trying them out.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I try and get a load that has a velocity of 3000 to 3200 fps. I use a bullet wt that will keep it in that area. I'm like JimP, once I've found a load that my rifle likes and performs out to 400 to 500 yds, I rarely change. My 30-06 load was developed almost 50 years ago and I havn't changed a thing. Still shoots 3125 with a 150 gr Sierra Game King boat tail bullet between .75 & .5 minute groups. My 25-06 is the same. Bought the M77 Ruger in 1969 and found it likes a load with 117 Gr Sierra Game King Boat tails at 3200 and shoots the same groups as my 30-06. My 300 Wby took a lot longer to get a load that really worked. Basically I tried a lot of different bullets and finally found a load with 180 Gr Nosler Partitions.

I don't plan on changing anything unless something happens to the availability of any of the components or a barrel replacement on one of the rifles. I don't plan on shooting any all copper or any other type of bullet either. Why change when my loads work and work well! I have been shooting Sierra and Nosler Partition bullets for almost 50 years and have never been disappointed.

Reactions: graybird and memtb

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I try and get a load that has a velocity of 3000 to 3200 fps. I use a bullet wt that will keep it in that area. I'm like JimP, once I've found a load that my rifle likes and performs out to 400 to 500 yds, I rarely change. My 30-06 load was developed almost 50 years ago and I havn't changed a thing. Still shoots 3125 with a 150 gr Sierra Game King boat tail bullet between .75 & .5 minute groups. My 25-06 is the same. Bought the M77 Ruger in 1969 and found it likes a load with 117 Gr Sierra Game King Boat tails at 3200 and shoots the same groups as my 30-06. My 300 Wby took a lot longer to get a load that really worked. Basically I tried a lot of different bullets and finally found a load with 180 Gr Nosler Partitions.

I don't plan on changing anything unless something happens to the availability of any of the components or a barrel replacement on one of the rifles. I don't plan on shooting any all copper or any other type of bullet either. Why change when my loads work and work well! I have been shooting Sierra and Nosler Partition bullets for almost 50 years and have never been disappointed.
You spend a lot of time shooting! I like to monkey around with loads to keep me shooting a lot. Plus it's fun and interesting! Still searching for the "magic load" that puts all shots into one hole at 300!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
You spend a lot of time shooting! I like to monkey around with loads to keep me shooting a lot. Plus it's fun and interesting! Still searching for the "magic load" that puts all shots into one hole at 300!
Your right. I do shoot a lot, but with other guns I don't hunt with! I really like to experiment with my .220 AO Swift. I play around with a lot of different powders....looking for that "one holer" load too. This is the best I've been able to do with it, but it's at 100 yds!31976

memtb

On copper bullet weight vs cup and core , with my copper bullets, I prefer to keep the weights at what is considered the normal accepted weigh for a cup and core.

From my previous post, this may appear hypocritical, but, I’ve an explanation! I hesitated for several years before going to the 250 grain TTSX. I didn’t want to go lighter than the 270 grain TSX that I had used for years. However, I wanted to get away from the 270 grain TSX because of the terrible BC’s.....closely resembling those of a brick! I called Barnes, I wrote emails practically begging for a TTSX/LRX style bullet in the 290 to 300 grain range....for it’s far superior BC. I finally gave up, developed a good load with the 250 TTSX. Satisfied with the velocities and the accuracy, and it appearing that Barnes would never bring out a heavier, high BC bullet......I bought a bunch of the 250’s. Then....Barnes brings out the 270 LRX!

I just need to convince myself to needlessly send a bunch of 250’s downrange! memtb

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
On copper bullet weight vs cup and core , with my copper bullets, I prefer to keep the weights at what is considered the normal accepted weigh for a cup and core.

From my previous post, this may appear hypocritical, but, I’ve an explanation! I hesitated for several years before going to the 250 grain TTSX. I didn’t want to go lighter than the 270 grain TSX that I had used for years. However, I wanted to get away from the 270 grain TSX because of the terrible BC’s.....closely resembling those of a brick! I called Barnes, I wrote emails practically begging for a TTSX/LRX style bullet in the 290 to 300 grain range....for it’s far superior BC. I finally gave up, developed a good load with the 250 TTSX. Satisfied with the velocities and the accuracy, and it appearing that Barnes would never bring out a heavier, high BC bullet......I bought a bunch of the 250’s. Then....Barnes brings out the 270 LRX!

I just need to convince myself to needlessly send a bunch of 250’s downrange! memtb
I've used the 250gr Swift A-Frames a fair bit in my .375H&H. It's a good bullet also. I've killed several Sitka black tail bucks on Kodiak with them.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
[QUOTE
[/QUOTE]

Because it is fun! What if you can get another 1/16" of accuracy out of that rifle. Come on man!! :p
Did I mention, because its fun?!

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
If you like to tinker with bullets and enjoy time at the range, and like the performance of monometal bullets, take a look at the Cutting Edge Bullet Raptors. I've shot them both here in the US and RSA from 223 Rem to 300 Win Mag. They have been one of the easiest bullets to find an accurate load. If you're a speed freak, this is the way to go with bullet weights considerably lower than expected C&C bullet weight ranges.

The "blades" of these bullets provide devastation inside the chest cavity. I haven't caught one of these bullets yet, but have found a few of the blades lodged in the rib cage/hide of the opposite side. Crazy good on-game performance on lighter than typical cartridges. Their biggest draw back is lower BCs and cost.