Deer for deer hunt.

DoubleTrouble

Apr 3, 2012
I have excellent deer hunting in Southern Iowa.....all on private farms. Looking to trade a hunt for a mule deer hunt out west. Drop me a email of this is of interest to you. dlo_hunter@icloud.com

I have pics and references of folks that have hunted with me in the past.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
It's nice to hunt out of state from time to time but I'm not into shooting deer from food plots. I like to actually hunt.
You are being extremely judgemental. Posts like these are only further trying to create a divide within the hunting community.

IMO you need to watch less TV. Not everything you see on TV or the internet is true or representative of everyone. I also have access to private farms and I have 0 food plots but plenty of deer. Is whitetail hunting different from how you hunt? Most likely. Is it still hunting? ABSOLUTELY!!!! Think before you speak (or type in this case).

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
Gr8bwana, your ignorance is truly astounding. If you don't have anything constructive to add (and you rarely do) you ought to just keep your nose out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: shootbrownelk

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
It's nice to hunt out of state from time to time but I'm not into shooting deer from food plots. I like to actually hunt.
Man dude.... Get a clue.

I own private ground and exclusively hunt private ground here in Missouri. My farm has corn or bean food plots solely for deer. I shoot maybe a buck every other year. It is NOT shooting fish in a barrel. We aren't hunting pen raised deer. Hunting pressure here is unreal, even on private. Often times you've got 2-5 people hunting every single 80 acre subdivided plot of land out there. These deer are very much in tune with people being in the woods, and do a damn good job of avoiding them.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
What the hell else you supposed to do in farm country??
It sure ain't easy shooting deer you can't see, whitetail's are dam smart!! Between the woods and swamp not much glassing and stalking here.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Lots of different ways of hunting in different parts of the country. If it’s legal I say go for it.

No personal attacks will be allowed here. Keep things civil please.

Our opinions can make us passionate but we all have our right to do things in our own ways.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I probably shouldn't touch this with a 10' pole, but here I go...

I moved to IA 15 yrs ago. It is true that the deer hunting is very challenging. Very little public land. Much of the hunting is on what little 'marginal' farmland is not tied up in heavy duty agriculture. Sometimes river or creek bottoms between fields or the rougher terrain/soils that are less profitable to farm between the large corn and bean fields. Many guys work hard to lease access to, or even purchase, acreage to hunt whitetail deer on. We're not talking a high fence or game ranch operation at all. Its wild deer that are free ranging.

The deer can grow very large racks and the area is famous for them. Many plant small food plots and devote a lot of sweat to attract big bucks to their land and learn their habits. The only hunting allowed during the primary rut is bowhunting. I have hosted relatives from PA who were lucky to draw tags here and were very excited to bowhunt for whitetails in Iowa.

As a mid-Atlantic/New England transplant that was accustomed to hunting the big woods for deer with a rifle, I never have been able to switch over completely to main styles of deer hunting out here. There is an early muzzleloader hunt for residents only that comes closest to approximating the solitude and stalking in larger public land areas that I enjoy most.

The key thing here is "what I enjoy most".

I have many friends here that bowhunt for big whitetails during our rut. I have helped my friends hang stands, plant foodplots, prune shooting lanes, and check trail cams; it takes dedication and passion to play that game as much as hunting in the big woods back east or out west in vast and varied terrain.

I think the idea of trading hunts and making new friends is kind of neat.

Peace,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mnbogboy

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Hosting a guest and have them hunt with you.Even if takes a year or two,sounds like a great beginning.Why swap when you can host/or be guided?I show you you show me.:cool:

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
I probably shouldn't touch this with a 10' pole, but here I go...

I moved to IA 15 yrs ago. It is true that the deer hunting is very challenging. Very little public land. Much of the hunting is on what little 'marginal' farmland is not tied up in heavy duty agriculture. Sometimes river or creek bottoms between fields or the rougher terrain/soils that are less profitable to farm between the large corn and bean fields. Many guys work hard to lease access to, or even purchase, acreage to hunt whitetail deer on. We're not talking a high fence or game ranch operation at all. Its wild deer that are free ranging.

The deer can grow very large racks and the area is famous for them. Many plant small food plots and devote a lot of sweat to attract big bucks to their land and learn their habits. The only hunting allowed during the primary rut is bowhunting. I have hosted relatives from PA who were lucky to draw tags here and were very excited to bowhunt for whitetails in Iowa.

As a mid-Atlantic/New England transplant that was accustomed to hunting the big woods for deer with a rifle, I never have been able to switch over completely to main styles of deer hunting out here. There is an early muzzleloader hunt for residents only that comes closest to approximating the solitude and stalking in larger public land areas that I enjoy most.

The key thing here is "what I enjoy most".

I have many friends here that bowhunt for big whitetails during our rut. I have helped my friends hang stands, plant foodplots, prune shooting lanes, and check trail cams; it takes dedication and passion to play that game as much as hunting in the big woods back east or out west in vast and varied terrain.

I think the idea of trading hunts and making new friends is kind of neat.

Peace,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Plus 1 to everything you said here!
I love my hunts at home here in Illinois and I love going out west n stretching my legs!

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I will add to this. In many parts of this country hunting whitetail can be very challenging. It is not as presented on the TV hunting shows. Most of the public land in Arkansas you may never see a mature buck on a food plot during day light or even after dark. I know decent hunters that sit days without even seeing a deer. It is all hunting and I enjoy it all. Some Easterners consider hunting out West to be a lot less difficult. At least you can spot deer and make a plan. I would challenge you to spot and stalk a deer in the pine thickets of South Arkansas. I have never hunted Iowa, but have hunted pretty close in Missouri. Open Farm land is very tough with a bow. Heck I have even bow hunted exotic game in Texas behind high fence. That was some of the most challenging hunting I ever have done. Try hunting 1000+ acres with game that has hunting pressure almost year around.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Hunting mule deer isn't that hard that a first time person that heads out west shouldn't be able to take home some deer meat. But trophy mule deer hunting is something else and I doubt that anyone would be willing to just swap hunts for one to another.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Gr8bwana, your ignorance is truly astounding. If you don't have anything constructive to add (and you rarely do) you ought to just keep your nose out of it.
This is still a forum where we can voice our opinions. If you don't like my opinion, tough tamales.