Broken Stuff

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I would rather work on an older 2 stroke than the newer 4 strokers. Same with cars....older is definetely easier to work on!
the newer ones last and run better tho, like a car motor.

got a phone call that my other bigger boat is about ready for pick up. Yeah… i’m a glutton right now.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Thought you might get a laugh out of this................Broken stuff for sure!
My left leg in the brace I am wearing 24/7 for 12 weeks so torn tendon can heal. I have finished 5 weeks....7 to go!View attachment 43582
Out of the damn brace as of today. Knee probably 90%, still doing PT and improving every day!!!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Did someone get generous with some red loctite?

The last time that I twisted off a welded on nut I welded on another one and then got the torch out and warmed the area up pretty good. When I pulled what was left of the bolt out I just may of been able to use just my fingers if it wasn't so hot.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I would say that the exhaust bolt had never been removed for the life of the weedeater and you know how metal on aluminum is....If only the manufacture had used some high temp anti-seize.

My buddy told me I should get out my tig welder and fill the hole and file it flush. Which I agree with. But I responded and told him that I was fresh out of tig welders and had no give-a-damn's left to deal with this hunk of junk weedeater that hasn't run right in 2 years.

Stihl products arnt what they used to be. Thats a fact.

Sigh....

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich M and JimP

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Took another go at it on my lunch break.

5/16-18 threads and a bolt should work just fine to hold that thing on there....

PS: If you don't own a die grinder, you need one....but be careful....it will cut your fingers right the hell off....burning 56,000 RPM's...

Now to address the actual problem of it running like crap after I have wasted hours trying to get the exhaust (That I though was the issue..) back on it....

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I would say that the exhaust bolt had never been removes for the life of the weedeater and you know how metal on aluminum is....If only the manufacture had used some high temp anti-seize.

My buddy told me I should get out my tig welder and fill the hole and file it flush. Which I agree with. But I responded and told him that I was fresh out of tig welders and had no give-a-damn's left to deal with this hunk of junk weedeater that hasn't run right in 2 years.

Stihl products arnt what they used to be. Thats a fact.

Sigh....
The last gas powered leaf blower that I got from a friend finally gave up the ghost and I gave it away and went electric. The biggest problem with the battery powered stuff is that I need to bring the batteries inside during the colder months. When my weed wacker gives up the ghost I not even going to try and fix it. I'll just give it to a kit to play with and buy a battery powered one.

Another friend gave me a old McCulloch that wasn't running, he had bounced it out of his truck and broke a number of parts off of it. I spent way too much time getting it running before I gave it to a neighbor.

It's a good thing that I like working on different pieces of equipment.

Reactions: Rich M

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I use gas lawn mower but like electric and battery power yard tools. Use it once a year and it works.
Malkards, i know you use your stuff a lot more than that.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I’m too stubborn to switch to a battery power tools at this point in life and I would need a ton of batteries to do my place. Nothing against anyone who goes that route. It's just not for me at this point in life.

The prior owner of this weedeater had run ethanol fuel in it and the exhaust was choked with cruddy ethanol sludge. I soaked the exhaust in pure gas for 24 hours to loosen up the crud and it mostly came clean. Then I turned it cherry red hot with the weed burner for about 5 minutes and blew the ash out of it with the air compressor......

Then, after cleaning the carburetor, replacing some gaskets and diaphragms, fuel filter and replacing a fuel line (that was sucking air) I got this thing running again.

Actually, it started up on the first pull and after some quick carb tuning it is running better than it ever has. Hopefully it lasts a few years.

Working on getting a new carb put on my backup 323L Husqvarna. Should have that up and running by the end of the week. It is also sitting on the bench broken. (Carb issues)

Last edited:

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I've made the switch to the already mixed fuel for my chain saws and weed eaters. I believe its methanol with a 10 year self life. Its really expensive but was tired of fighting with ethanol related problems. Ethanol is horrible on engines if they are left to sit any amount of time.

If you buy stihl you have to buy the professional versions. I don't know if they make a professional weed trimmer but when it comes to chain saws there is a big difference between pro and homeowner grade. I have a 038 that my dad bought new around 1980 that has probably cut 150 chords of wood in its life (we heated the house with wood) and it starts on the 3rd pull every single time. I bought a 025 consumer grade saw about 10 years ago for smaller trees and removing limbs of downed trees (its way lighter than the 038). Already replaced the ignition coil, which cost me about 1/3 the price of the saw. Its a toss up if it will start even with the methanol so I always have to bring both saws with me.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
you guys don't run ethanol free 91 in your stuff?
Been doing that for years in my saws an weedeater and don't have the problems, described here.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have only ran regular 85 pump gas in all of my yard machines and chainsaw, along with my ATV's with zero problems.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I use rhe ethanol stuff in. Boat motors and lawn mowers and generator. Keep threatening to go e-free in the generator.