Opening The Can Of Worms...Coronavirus...

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
I think this will go down as a bigger hype job than Y2K.

My 94 year old grandmother died from the flu a couple months ago, no one who didn't know her noticed.
If she had died from coronavirus it would be front page news.
Either way any serious illness she caught would have done her in.

Every day people choose not to vaccinate their children against diseases that are 100x more dangerous than coronavirus.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Well after going grocery shopping at 9 p.m. tonight to get literally the normal everyday stuff, I got maybe half because the shelves are bare, I'll have to say i'm a bit concerned. People have gone flat out loco here, shelf after shelf empty.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I think this will go down as a bigger hype job than Y2K.

My 94 year old grandmother died from the flu a couple months ago, no one who didn't know her noticed.
If she had died from coronavirus it would be front page news.
Either way any serious illness she caught would have done her in.

Every day people choose not to vaccinate their children against diseases that are 100x more dangerous than coronavirus.
I am truly sorry for your loss. nothing I said in this thread was in anyway meant to diminish the loss of those who have lost loved ones to such illness. merely meant to add a little perspective . you have my condolences.
I am glad you understand that difference.

my mother is 85 and in pretty much the same boat . if she gets a serious illness it will probably do her in. we do the best we can to keep her contact with such things as minimal as possible ,while also giving her ,quality of life.

so I agree with taking precautions , to try and decrease the chances of contracting and spreading a disease (any disease ) but one can not just let it dominate their lives either.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Well after going grocery shopping at 9 p.m. tonight to get literally the normal everyday stuff, I got maybe half because the shelves are bare, I'll have to say i'm a bit concerned. People have gone flat out loco here, shelf after shelf empty.
hopefully the panic buying craze will help mitigate the stock market fall ;) :D

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
hopefully the panic buying craze will help mitigate the stock market fall ;) :D
It might, but then if the smoke clears in a month an nobody needs anything cause they have a 3 month stock pile that won't help either.

I guess I should clarify my concern is people over reacting and all levels. Read a few stories of fights in stores over bottled water, and other goods. I hope the chaos and fear mongering people create from this is worst than it needs to be.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
yeah , over reacting is , imho , worst the under reacting. the impact on the economy is going to be affected way more from the hysteria, then it will from the disease itself.

many people are going to get sick , that's a given . but the truth is most who do get sick will recover . many won't even get all that sick. judging from the panic I am seeing here ,most folks seem to think the virus is an absolute death sentence. it is not.

as with all things ,this to shall pass.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I went to buy some ammo like I do every couple months ( its in my budget) and bulk packs are sold out of the popular handgun and rifle types its just nuts

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Guys, I'm always willing to play Devil's Advocate so here's your chance to flame-war me. Just one counter-thought. I live in Lafayette, CO: a reasonably populated small city in the Midwest. Great place. They're canceling some sports activities but school's still open and they plan to stay that way. No big deal here.

But even our most densely populated areas are TINY compared to other places our Nation. At this moment I'm sitting in an airport lounge in Baltimore. I've just gotten out of a meeting with the Army at Aberdeen Proving Grounds and they've told me we were their LAST meeting, they almost cancelled us. They're shutting down ALL outside visits and sending employees home for 2 weeks or more. There's something like 80,000 people just working in that FACILITY, let alone living in Aberdeen, let alone Baltimore, let alone DC. People are wearing gloves on the bus and staying 3' apart here and no, I don't think it's "just another flu".

Personally I think it's pretty offensive to so easily drop slurs like blaming "Jewish Democrats" for things, but that's between you and your priest or however you lead your life. But when our nation's military takes something this seriously, I do too. And I think unless you spend some time in a REAL city (where things like this actually do spread and cause big problems, and those people are Americans too) it's really easy to write this all off as "somebody else's problem."

I believe America is strong because its people are strong. All of them. And I think they all matter. But then again, what do I know.
I totally agree with your post, I live in the middle of nowhere (upper peninsula of Michigan) but I had to spend last week in Indianapolis. They were supposed to have the Big Ten Men's basketball tournament 2 blocks from the hotel I was staying at. It was totally surreal to watch people from all over the country show up to watch their basketball team and as they are checking in the events are being cancelled. I don't get to worried about things that are out of my control however, I do not want to be the guy who carelessly brought coronavirus to the UP, God forbid resulting in the death of one of the elderly members of my church or community.

That being said, what's the deal with toilet paper. People are crazy beings!

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
I am truly sorry for your loss. nothing I said in this thread was in anyway meant to diminish the loss of those who have lost loved ones to such illness. merely meant to add a little perspective . you have my condolences.
I am glad you understand that difference.

my mother is 85 and in pretty much the same boat . if she gets a serious illness it will probably do her in. we do the best we can to keep her contact with such things as minimal as possible ,while also giving her ,quality of life.

so I agree with taking precautions , to try and decrease the chances of contracting and spreading a disease (any disease ) but one can not just let it dominate their lives either.
No offense taken from anything said here,

I agree with your perspective, the key here is to be careful around people with frail health.
Many times through the years I have had to call off trips to visit elderly grandparents because my kids have gotten sick. I still can't see what makes coronavirus any more scary than the seasonal flu.

The media has blown this way out of proportion.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I totally agree with your post, I live in the middle of nowhere (upper peninsula of Michigan) but I had to spend last week in Indianapolis. They were supposed to have the Big Ten Men's basketball tournament 2 blocks from the hotel I was staying at. It was totally surreal to watch people from all over the country show up to watch their basketball team and as they are checking in the events are being cancelled. I don't get to worried about things that are out of my control however, I do not want to be the guy who carelessly brought coronavirus to the UP, God forbid resulting in the death of one of the elderly members of my church or community.

That being said, what's the deal with toilet paper. People are crazy beings!
Apparently people haven't figured out that you have to have food to need toilet paper. But I digress...

Reactions: Gr8bawana

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
No offense taken from anything said here,

I agree with your perspective, the key here is to be careful around people with frail health.
Many times through the years I have had to call off trips to visit elderly grandparents because my kids have gotten sick. I still can't see what makes coronavirus any more scary than the seasonal flu.

The media has blown this way out of proportion.
The more I have read the more this seems to be about our healthcare systems ability to handle a mass influx. Turning off supplies form China took away many of our healthcare standard protocols, like swapping out masks at just about every

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
so it seems the media is saying mortality rate is about 3% or so.
it also seems it is fairly well agreed there are a lot more cases of infected because testing is so substandard.(trumps fault ,of coarse. :D )

so one should/could logically conclude that the mortality rate is actually much lower then our asteemed (as in, something smells)media is reporting.

8 billion or so people on the planet...…………..
just saw an article that said there are at present. 150,000 confirmed case (which tells me there is probably at least double that unreported) ;) cases world wide . 5000 some cases resulted in death . with another 75000 or so fully recovered.

not to dimish the suffering of those who have lost loved ones but as far as diseases/ tragedies go, this just doesn't seem all that scary. but then I have never been a lucky lottery winner either!:rolleyes:

while I think most would /can agree ,we would all prefer no one contracted the disease, the reporting and panic ,IMHO , simply do not match the reality of the situation.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
As the number of people that come down with it and are tested the mortality rate will go down. I watched a show on it the other day and the Dr. figured that the final number will be less than 2% and if I remember right he claimed around 1.7%, he also stated that the mortality rate for the common flu is around 1.3%.

Also remember that there are going to be a lot of people that never see a Dr about it. They will get the symptoms and just deal with them until they go away. Wow, it sounds like the normal flu that goes around every year. Some that are at risk will come down with it and pass away from it, others will come down with it, deal with it and be just fine.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Yep. Agree. With 80-81% having no or minimal symptoms the reported mortality rate is concentrated.
Many physicians believe the final estimate will be much lower because there are so many undiagnosed due to minimal/no symptoms they don't seek care. Not to mention lack of test kits. Likely not as low as influenza but lower.
Fortunately, high-risk populations have been identified, and hopefully those identified take the necessary precautions. There will be a those who don't fit the profile and will die. No different than influenza in that regard.
Hopefully, those with no risk take the necessary precautions, during influenza and/or COVID-19 season, considering both can be spread during the incubation period, to help protect high-risk populations around us.
No panic. No paranoia. Just a logical approach to the situation.

Reactions: dan maule

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
As the number of people that come down with it and are tested the mortality rate will go down. I watched a show on it the other day and the Dr. figured that the final number will be less than 2% and if I remember right he claimed around 1.7%, he also stated that the mortality rate for the common flu is around 1.3%.

Also remember that there are going to be a lot of people that never see a Dr about it. They will get the symptoms and just deal with them until they go away. Wow, it sounds like the normal flu that goes around every year. Some that are at risk will come down with it and pass away from it, others will come down with it, deal with it and be just fine.
I ALSO SAW a interview with a docor who said that it is not hitting the young nearly as bad as the flu. most who die are the old and already sick from other ailments. sure is hard to weed out the truth .

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
No joke but don't forget about influenza!! Same general precautions IMO.
Per CDC, influenza has killed 22,000-55,000, in the U.S. during the 2019-2020 season. 144 pediatric deaths.
Preys on the elderly, young, and those with comorbid condtions.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
I ALSO SAW a interview with a docor who said that it is not hitting the young nearly as bad as the flu. most who die are the old and already sick from other ailments. sure is hard to weed out the truth .
Very true. Young are mostly spared. Likely due to pediatric population being exposed to other coronaviruses (not current strain) during childhood. Coronaviruses are responsible for a lot of common colds. Thought is, due to their immune systems being recently exposed to other strains within the same coronavirus class, they fight it much more aggressively and in some cases show no symptoms.
Example: adults need booster for pertussis (whooping cough) as we age due to weaning immunity. No different than we have weaning immunity to previous coronavirus strains that we were exposed to as children.
Unfortunately, as we age, we have weaning immunity to previous infection we were exposed to in our youth, and a weakening immune system in general.