Does anyone still hunt turkeys?

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
Doing a walk last night, i walked up on a flock of turkeys. I do it all the time actually. Does anyone just still hunt turkeys?
They always seem to let you walk with in 20 yards of them, before they start running off.
ps i don't hunt them, they seem to easy.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Doing a walk last night, i walked up on a flock of turkeys. I do it all the time actually. Does anyone just still hunt turkeys?
They always seem to let you walk with in 20 yards of them, before they start running off.
ps i don't hunt them, they seem to easy.
I think that is a result of very little pressure. Our highly pressured turkeys seem to have a buffer zone of 250-300 yards. If you get within that distance, they are either running off at full speed or flying.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Your turkey's are different than the ones we have. If deer were as spooky as the turkeys we have nobody would ever kill one with their bow. My season starts April 10 and I'll be heading to the cabin on the 9th. Dump some coin on some new decoys this year, hopefully that helps.

Reactions: gonhunting247

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
There has been a flock down by the creek the last few days with the Tom’s strutting. 600 yards away and as soon as I’m in sight they start reacting. Any walking their direction and off they go.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've seen turkeys react just like deer and elk.

When there isn't a season going on you can walk right up to a flock, but put a shotgun into my hands and they are gone.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
They are great fun to hunt. They can be amazingly tough to get to shotgun/bow range at times.
Sounds like I need to come visit tim in ID :)

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I wish it was easier in Nv but it’s not worth all the guys ontop of each other and so few tags.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I heard a few this morning but they all seemed a long way off. I didn't end up seeing anything nor did i hear any shots. At it again tomorrow.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I don't know if this is an acceptable method of killing a turkey or not, but find where they roost, and set an ambush up when they come out of the tree in the morning. They seem to roost in the same tree for quite awhile.

you can buy 5 tags otc, where i am located.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I spent 5 days at the cabin. I called in one hen. Tom's were only gobbling for about 10 minutes as soon as it started to get light, well before sunrise. I could only hunt until 8:30am due to work schedule.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Me and my boys hunt them religiously here in central Minnesota. We’ve seen a noticeable decrease in numbers the last 3 years. My youngest son got his first with a bow last Saturday. It’s his 10th consecutive year of tagging a mature tom. It’s going to be tough hunting the next few years, hopefully the birds make a comeback.

Attachments

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Most of the areas around where I hunt in PA have had decent turkey numbers, nothing great, but decent. The general valley where I hunt, the numbers have been horrible. Last spring was a great hatch and there seems to be turkeys everywhere in the valley. It seems as though a little increase in predator control along with the great hatch last year, really has helped. I'm anticipating another decent hatch this year as well as it seems like it will be fairly warm and not an overabundance of rain.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Finished the season with a nice Tom in the big timber. I started off with a jake early on then finished up with a couple nice Toms'. We can get three spring turkeys, but are only allowed to kill one per day. Our birds are doing pretty well I think considering the long winter we just came through! It has still been a tough year to get a break without rain/wind/snow, but if you hit the little good weather windows right it can be pretty good still.
2023 Turkey #3.jpg

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I'm trying to get one more hunt in before the season closes here. It has been an incredibly busy spring. However, I got two of my kids out with me for a hunt which was a lot of fun!