Broken Stuff

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Just when I think I have problems.

CC SAYS HOLD ME BEER!

I wish you a speedy recovery CC!

I was in leg braces for about 4 years of my life. It’s no fun for sure!

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Thought you might get a laugh out of this................Broken stuff for sure!
My left leg in the brace I am wearing 24/7 for 12 weeks so torn tendon can heal. I have finished 5 weeks....7 to go!View attachment 43582
That reminds me of when I tore my ICL off of my knee, I was in a solid cast for 6 weeks. I had a friend who tore his ICL the same weekend and the Dr's figured that all he needed was a brace. Well, my knee is pretty much healed for the last 45 years where he ended up having surgery on his 20 years after the fact to repair it.

I was just glad that I had tore my tendon completely off of my knee so that there was no question that I needed surgery where they could pretty much repair it as good as they could in the day. It's surprising at what they can do today with modern surgery's.

Get well quick, even if you can't hunt you can still go out and listen to the elk and other wildlife. I'll let you know where to go to hear a wolf howl after they are reintroduced.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
That reminds me of when I tore my ICL off of my knee, I was in a solid cast for 6 weeks. I had a friend who tore his ICL the same weekend and the Dr's figured that all he needed was a brace. Well, my knee is pretty much healed for the last 45 years where he ended up having surgery on his 20 years after the fact to repair it.

I was just glad that I had tore my tendon completely off of my knee so that there was no question that I needed surgery where they could pretty much repair it as good as they could in the day. It's surprising at what they can do today with modern surgery's.

Get well quick, even if you can't hunt you can still go out and listen to the elk and other wildlife. I'll let you know where to go to hear a wolf howl after they are reintroduced.
Hopefully this will be off the first week of June. Leaves me all summer to rehab. See my Surgeon next week for a checkup.

Reactions: JimP

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I could post lots of pictures of things I’ve broke in my Jeep. Here’s the latest, stripped the gears off the input shaft of the transmission. Also twisted the driveline yoke. 4376143762
Breaking things on the Jeep is all too common, I’ve had to learn how to fix every component on the Jeep myself, paying someone would bankrupt me.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I learned that when you improve one part the next failure will be down the line somewhere.

I built performance 1600 class VW engines. Then I learned how to beef up the transaxle, the next thing in line were the axles and rear brake drums. To improve the axles would of cost too much but I had a ready supply of them along with brake drums. So I never went to better parts.

My nephew found out the expensive way. He had one of my engines and transaxles in his VW, and thought that he had blown a clutch so he replaced it. He still couldn't get it to move so I went over to figure it out. It turned out that the rear disk brake rotar that he had put on has all the gear teeth sheared off on both wheels, so the axles just spun inside them.

Reactions: Timber Stalker

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
As I found out you can take care of those weak links, if you want to spend the money.

2 titanium alloyed axles ran around $500 30 years ago, I can just imagine what they cost now. The brake drums and rotars are a little cheaper.

Reactions: Timber Stalker

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Just looks like someone mounted it and then sent it back and the return people didn't check anything.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Maybe I should call this one an 8-0 instead of an 8-40. lol

An 8-40 at 28 in/lb. Lord that felt tight as a tiger when it clicked over.

New GA public land legal hog gun.

Reactions: idcwby

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Hard to tell if it is missing threads until I look at it real close.

I thought that you were talking about no blue loctite on the screw from the factory.

I was surprised at how tight screws felt when I first got my Weller torque screwdriver. There are many scopes mounted that are way too loose and then there are those that are too tight that I installed before I got that tool. I'm just glad that most mounting screws are going to the hex head where you can get rid of normal screwdrivers.

Reactions: mallardsx2

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Those screws for that scope base are at 68 in/lbs. I'm not going to lie, I was wincing a little bit when I cranked them down. lol

That base isn't going anywhere....lol

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
That’s the mount holding my tiller to the 60 hp Merc. Did that when pulling it out of garage… to shop Friday.
IMG_2340.jpeg

had to sit on the beach and watch undertow relocate 2 guys and a girl. Luckily it washed them up the beach and not out. Was like lightening and messed w their heads. Not nearly as much fun as fishing.

Reactions: mallardsx2

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Ya real sweet right up until the aftermarket CMC trigger locked up the gun because of a design flaw by BCA uppers bolt carrier group.
Dry fire function test was fine. As soon as I shot it the gun immediately locked up tighter than a snare drum.

Took me an hour and a half to get the gun apart.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Switched it out to a mil-0spec trigger and the gun ran fine. I called BCA and CMC trigger, and they were both seriously confused on the situation.

100 yard group with a terrible factory ar trigger.. I can live with it.

Reactions: buckbull

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Picked up outboard from shop 2 fridays ago.

Took it out this past Saturday and no work.

ran nice at shop a week earlier…

• Sad
Reactions: buckbull