Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015

I LOVE their proposed changes!

I bet you people's heads are EXPLODING in Utah today. lol

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Spoke too soon. Apparently, there are some clarifications being posted by them on their FB page. Not the great reset I was hoping for.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The secrete is read the plan without jumping to a conclusion.

Most of the post that I saw about it on FB were done by those who read a bit of it and then posted what they thought, weather it was right or wrong.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I don't apply in utah so uninformed. what change seems to be the game changer?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The secrete is read the plan without jumping to a conclusion.

Most of the post that I saw about it on FB were done by those who read a bit of it and then posted what they thought, weather it was right or wrong.
"As a result, the DWR is recommending a few changes to only restricted weapons hunts for archery, handguns, muzzleloaders, shotguns and rifles, including during the HAMS (handgun, archery, muzzleloader and shotgun) hunts."

This isn't something super clear to anyone....and I did actually read the plan and it seemed pretty clear to me. To the point that it was so clear in fact, that the DWR had to go onto their Facebook page to post a follow-up message explaining the proposed rule. Which I can't see because I don't have Facebook.

It appears that they are allowing rifles in the HAMS hunt next season. I hadn't read that part anywhere yet.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The DWR posted a update to make things a little clearer on FB.

I haven't gone and looked at it but they mentioned it on another forum

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
After the last couple of years with both the any bull and spike tags selling out in a day or less they had to do something.

I like the plan for archery elk. Selling just bull tags over the counter and putting all the cow tags into the draw. In the discussions that I have seen there are a lot of archery hunters that just go out to shoot a cow elk, this can really hurt a units elk population.

As some have said, things might get real interesting in the discussions and I might even have to attend a RAC meeting just to listen.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The problem that Utah has, like many other states is that there are more people who want the high quality hunts than there are tags available. Utah also has a lot of people, like everywhere else that want to hunt every single year. Utah has a higher population that some of their neighboring western states and that adds to the challenges. Unfortunately it comes down to the fact that you usually can't have high opportunity, big bucks/bulls and a high population. Things were bound to get interesting at some point, add in that there are some of the best tags used at the Expo and it stresses the system even more.