What Scope...

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
A story about Nightforce service...

I bought a NF Unimount for my previous Leupold scope. When I tried to mount it, the mount hit the ejection port on my rifle. I was leaving shortly on a hunt so I asked my co worker about it. Having worked at NF for years he said, "yea the vendor screwed up a few hundred so we filed them, re anodized them, and shipped them all out. File it then send it back when yo get home".
I filed it, mounted it, and called NF when I came back. I sent it in and NF promptly called me back saying there was nothing wrong with it and since I filed it I was SOL.

I mentioned my conversation with the former employee to which he replied "You talked to J...?"
me; yes
NF; "well, we filed a bunch of those but production says this wasn't one of them so we won't replace it and we'll send it back to you"
me; so, your former employee who filed hundreds of them, looked at it and said "yea I guess we missed one" is mistaken?
NF; production won't replace it, where do you want it sent?

I own a NF scope, will never own another Leupold, but Nightforce service is a joke. If I remembered the clowns name from their customer service dept i'd post it.

papabearxx

Mar 24, 2014
Reno, NV
I am split between Leupold and Vortex. I have a Leupold VX6 on my custom built 300 win mag and a VX3L on my factory 300 win mag. My son has a Vortex Razor light hunter on his .260 and I have the same one on my .223 coyote gun. Both have very good glass and have worked very well for us.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
A story about Nightforce service...

I bought a NF Unimount for my previous Leupold scope. When I tried to mount it, the mount hit the ejection port on my rifle. I was leaving shortly on a hunt so I asked my co worker about it. Having worked at NF for years he said, "yea the vendor screwed up a few hundred so we filed them, re anodized them, and shipped them all out. File it then send it back when yo get home".
I filed it, mounted it, and called NF when I came back. I sent it in and NF promptly called me back saying there was nothing wrong with it and since I filed it I was SOL.

I mentioned my conversation with the former employee to which he replied "You talked to J...?"
me; yes
NF; "well, we filed a bunch of those but production says this wasn't one of them so we won't replace it and we'll send it back to you"
me; so, your former employee who filed hundreds of them, looked at it and said "yea I guess we missed one" is mistaken?
NF; production won't replace it, where do you want it sent?

I own a NF scope, will never own another Leupold, but Nightforce service is a joke. If I remembered the clowns name from their customer service dept i'd post it.
Sounds like a solid company to give your hard earned money too, they tell you to pound it when something is wrong.

Granby guy

Nov 5, 2012
Grand Lake, Colorado
I have a Swarovski 4-12 on my 300 way.( my main hunting gun) which I sighted in 17 years ago and have never had to adjust it since and it sees some serious abuse. I have leupold vx3s on a few other rifles. I also have a couple of cabelas Alaskan guide scopes that have performed flawlessly as well.

50bowhunter

Jan 6, 2016
Between my 4 rifles and 1 muzzleloader I have 3 Vortex, 1 Leupold, and 1 Nikon. I'm a big Vortex fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
My best scope is on my Browing Stainless Stalker with boss, it is a Leupold VX7L 4.4 x 18 x56
I use a Swarovski Z5 5x25 on the Browing Stainless Stalker Wssm 243
All else 243 and 7 mag try to be 3x9 leupold vx3 except Savage 22-250 currently using Nikon 6x ? Going to change the Nikon for more close in shooting scope

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Update -

Leica fixed the ER scope, got it back and it has a diff speck on the reticle. Not happy with them.

Nothing wrong with my 2-7x36 Viper.

Found a good deal on a VX-3i 3.5-10x40 to go on 30-06. Ended up being $229 after special.

VX-2 will find a home somewhere.

Last edited:

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
22mag vx2 4-12
204 vx3 6.5-20
25/06 vxL 4.5-14
270 fx3 6x42mm
270 conquest hd 3.5-15
280 vx2 3-9x
280AI vx6 3-18
30/06 vx3 3.5-10
30/06 vxIII 4.5-14
300 wsm vx3i 4.5-14x LR
300 wsm vxL 4.5-14x
325 wsm vx3 4.5-14x
Pretty loyal to leupold here.

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
My FAVORITE scope is a Leupold Vari-X II 4x12x40 AO. It's closing in on 30 years old. It has never lost zero. It's mounted low on my 7MM Rem Mag. I didn't hesitate to take it as my primary rifle on a once-in-a-lifetime bull elk hunt. I do own Vari-X III's and VX-III's. I also own a Vari-X II 3x9x40, which is an excellent scope. I did buy a Leupold VX-3 4.5x14x40 AO because I got a great deal on it. It's on one of my .270 Win rifles. But I'm considering putting a Vari-X II back on that rifle.

When I was a kid, it seemed like the Vari-X II 3x9x40 was the gold standard scope.

None of my Leupolds have ever failed me. But then again, my ~45 year-old American Made Redfield Ranger 2x7 had never failed me. Leupold's customer service is excellent. I can send my scopes in for check-ups. They're free. So far, all has been good.

My preference is 40MM objectives because I can mount them a dollar bill thickness above my rifles' barrels.

I think that buying an excellent scope is wise and buying even better binos wiser. We might look through our scopes for a few minutes each day. We'll glass for hours each day. Hence, my binos are Zeiss, which were the cost of at least three Leupold scopes.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
depends on the rifle, but most have something in the 4.5-14x range.

seems like all the newer scopes have more range, 5x, 6x,

personally I don't think I'd want more than 16x on a rifle, unless it were truly a specialize long range rifle on an expected long range hunt/animal.

on dangerous game, I would want something on the low side for starting magnification, like 1-3x

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
Hi Husky Musky,

I agree. 3x9 is perfect for nearly all North American big game hunting. I really like my Vari-X III's and VX-3's 2.5x8. I could be quite satisfied with a fixed 4x scope. While actually hunting, my variable scopes are always set on their lowest power. I have made a few very long shots, but my rule of thumb is if I have to increase my scopes power to make a shot, I ought to try to close distance.

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
My favorite scope is my Leupold Vari-X II 4x12x40 AO. I got a great deal on it when I bought my 7MM Rem Mag. I know it appears to be a contradiction to my favoring lower power scopes. But my 4x12 has been exceptionally reliable. I've been very lucky with it. I've killed a muley buck with it at a distance that I won't disclose. But then I was in excellent shape, and conditions were absolutely perfect. It was feeding near sundown in an open meadow, so stalking was not an option. I've killed my largest animal to date with it: a Rocky Mountain bull elk that went far better than 900 pounds. It was set on 4x.

Anyway, here's an excellent deal on a brand new Leupold VX II 4x12x40. I'd jump all over it if I needed another scope, which I don't: https://www.dvor.com/leupold-vx-ii-4-12x40mm-rifle-scope.html?utm_source=event-notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=event_20180312&opener=mail

BTW, I'm not sure if this model is still made in Oregon. I've heard -but I've not confirmed- that Leupold imports some of its optics.