Ultimate sheep or backcountry rifle set up.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Got disposable income and realized i don't have a backcountry type rifle other then a 30.06 ruger boat paddle stock rifle that kicks like a mule. Wanting a sheep/deer caliber to use with a silencer.
Let keep to factory offerings, :

Rifle. Make model
Caliber and why
Scope

Bullet preference

Thanks think this will be interesting and I'll add my thoughts soon still doing research.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I shoot deer with a Ruger M77, Leupold VXIII 4x14, in 25-06. I have shot it since 1970 when I bought it new, and have taken over 100 deer and probably 75 antelope with it. I have never hunted sheep, but wouldn't hesitate using it for them. I only shoot my own handloads with 117 gr Sierra BT bullets that have a mv of 3100 fps. I also have a Leupold ballistic turret for my loads. The rifle still shoots less than moa out to 500 yards. Never used a silencer so I can't comment on that.

I I was buying a new rifle today, I would probably get a Savage topped with a Leupold. Caliber would probably be a .25, either a 25-06 or a .257 Wby. As you can tell I'm "old school" .......dead is dead and my 25-06 does that!

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
This is kinda my next rifle... after my goat hunt... really left me wanting/needing something lightweight and accurate to in my eyes 600-700yds would be awesome.

I think a custom ultralight build I'd lean towards the 6.5prc in a short action..., since I don't reload and am looking for the most bang for the buck in a factory rifle with the traits I want, the 7mm PRC really looks promising.
It'll shoot a bigger higher bc bullet than the 6.5 at supposedly 175@ 3000fps vs 143@ 2900.
From what I've been looking at you're really not saving weight in the 6.5prc but in a custom rifle I think you could design it and save a little bit extra, also many factory 7mm PRC have 22" barrels which I want, vs the 6.5 seems to get the 24" more often than something shorter, although I think I've seen a couple 22 and 20" options out there.

also with a brake on the 7mm PRC I don't think I'll be worried about kick etc... and in the field I could have or not have the brake...

Also I think as a 1 do all gun the 7mm will let me hunt elk and moose more effectively than the 6.5 although it can probably also do both within reasonable ranges.

my short list is, bergara, fierce, savage, at the moment...
good luck, keep us posted, what you're thinking/ get...

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I am totally in agreement with CC....though I will likely not be buying any more rifles at this stage of my life. If I were, I would give serious to the 6.5PRC in a Savage 110 Ultralight. I'm not sure if they come with a threaded barrel.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Also I think as a 1 do all gun the 7mm will let me hunt elk and moose more effectively than the 6.5 although it can probably also do both within reasonable ranges.

That's what Remington said when they brought out the 7mm Rem Mag many years ago. It really did do a great job. I had one that I reloaded for and it was great. My son talked me out of it and he still shoots it.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
I am totally in agreement with CC....though I will likely not be buying any more rifles at this stage of my life. If I were, I would give serious to the 6.5PRC in a Savage 110 Ultralight. I'm not sure if they come with a threaded barrel.
X3. For the money it’s hard to beat the savage with the proof.

Christensen Arms had the FFT that would be nice with a can on.

For lightweight scopes it’s hard to beat Leupold. March is a good lightweight scope, I’ve had good luck with the two Marchs I have.

Bullet would depend on caliber somewhat. For a factory choice it’s hard not to recommend the 6.5PRC. It seems that it will be around for awhile with some good factory bullet offerings. I’ve had good luck with the 142 longerange AccuBond in my 264Win Mag on deer and elk. Lots of people recommend the 147 hornady ELDM.

Reactions: RICMIC