Recommended Day Pack

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
For what it is worth, if you have any level of TagHub membership you can get 15% off your order if you go the Eberlestock route. That page is available even with a free trial.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I first heard about Alps when my son was in scouts and needed a pack for a weeks stay at Philmont in Colorado. The scouts recommended Alps as a cost effective pack that was decent quality. It did fine (dont remember model). Ihave the Alps "big bear" model that i primarily use when i walk to my deerstand. I just got back from a hiking trip in the smokey mountains and wore the pack. Not long or hard hikes and it was fine.

If i was going elk hunting and needed a day pack i would use my eberlestock x1a. Its a better pack (comfort, organization, etc) but of course it costs alot more than the alps.

Unless you need something ASAP, i still recommend hitting the forum classifieds, ebay. Craigslist. Ive looked for the badlands superday and some have been selling for under $100. I havent found any still available.

Eberlestock, stone glacier, exo, kuiu, sitka, kifaru, badlands, mystery ranch would be some of the names id look for in a used pack. Im sure i missed some.

disabled combat vet

Jul 13, 2019
Pueblo, Colorado
I first heard about Alps when my son was in scouts and needed a pack for a weeks stay at Philmont in Colorado. The scouts recommended Alps as a cost effective pack that was decent quality. It did fine (dont remember model). Ihave the Alps "big bear" model that i primarily use when i walk to my deerstand. I just got back from a hiking trip in the smokey mountains and wore the pack. Not long or hard hikes and it was fine.

If i was going elk hunting and needed a day pack i would use my eberlestock x1a. Its a better pack (comfort, organization, etc) but of course it costs alot more than the alps.

Unless you need something ASAP, i still recommend hitting the forum classifieds, ebay. Craigslist. Ive looked for the badlands superday and some have been selling for under $100. I havent found any still available.

Eberlestock, stone glacier, exo, kuiu, sitka, kifaru, badlands, mystery ranch would be some of the names id look for in a used pack. Im sure i missed some.
I have the small alps day pack and fanny pack, I just need a little bigger pack

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Not sure if this helps as most of you guys are very dialed on your systems, but here is a philosophy piece for me. When it comes to using a daypack from a truck hunt or from basecamp I won't use something that can't pack an elk quarter back to camp on the first trip. That means dealing with a little more weight and some type of frame and stay material. The Mainframe works well for that purpose, but many other brands do have the same functionality. The downside is that tends to add a little coin to the purchase to get one that is reliable and tough.

Reactions: DRUSS

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
Not sure if this helps as most of you guys are very dialed on your systems, but here is a philosophy piece for me. When it comes to using a daypack from a truck hunt or from basecamp I won't use something that can't pack an elk quarter back to camp on the first trip. That means dealing with a little more weight and some type of frame and stay material. The Mainframe works well for that purpose, but many other brands do have the same functionality. The downside is that tends to add a little coin to the purchase to get one that is reliable and tough.
This is why i ended up with my nicer packs

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
As mentioned why limit yourself to not being able to bring out game on the first trip back to the truck?

Thats why I like the badlands 2200

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Whenever I am far enough away to have to pack out some meat from a elk I'll just take a front shoulder with me on the first trip back. Most time I'll even leave the whole leg attached for easier handling. This is in addition to my normal day pack which will also hold the liver and heart on that first trip out.

Then I'll bring the big boy pack back in for the next few trips.

disabled combat vet

Jul 13, 2019
Pueblo, Colorado
I don't hunt far from the truck because of my knees and lower back issues, just enough to where I can drag one out if needed. So I don't need a pack to haul meat out, just need one to carry the basics. So I stopped by sportsmanwarehouse today and checked out the badlands super day pack and I really was liking it a lot.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I picked up a Kuiu Venture 1800 as a day-pack. It has served me well.

It's also my travel pack when the wife and I vacation. I'm a nerd and like wearing camo in the airport.

Reactions: Lou (Louis)

SageMata

Apr 4, 2024
I'm planning my first backpacking trip soon, and picking the right gear is a whole new world. I'm leaning towards a smaller pack since I'm a beginner, but I also don't want to be kicking myself halfway through the trip wishing I'd brought the kitchen sink!The idea of exploring a place where 303,000 people call this place home but still feeling totally immersed in nature is really exciting. Any recommendations on how to choose a daypack that's the perfect balance between size and functionality?Also, for experienced backpackers out there, what are some things you wish you'd known about daypacks before your first trip? Any rookie mistakes I can avoid? Thanks in advance for the tips!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ikeepitcold

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
I like the Eberlestock packs. Have owned several over the years. The Eberlestock is my favorite all around day pack.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: ScottR