Paunsagunt Deer

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I am very seriously considering burning my 27 NR points on the Pauns archery tag this year. I'm 64 and my health is declining, heart failure plus 2 torn achilles, etc. All my Midwest hunting is via climbing Lone Wolf tree stands. Have some experience using this method successfully in the AZ Kaibab 3 times. I got an e-bike in 2021 and it has helped due to my health. Curious if there are trails in the Pauns that allow them. I had planned to go one year in advance to scout this, but the rate my heart is slowing, I am re-evaluating this and curious if I can have a good hunt without doing so. I could hunt the full season, and even go a week in advance to scout. I could draw mzl or rifle, but prefer archery, and it's long season. Looking for general advice from anyone who has been there. Thanks.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I hunted it so many years ago I hate to even think about how long ago it was. Back then you didn't have to worry about landowners and trying to gain permission to hunt on their land. As long as you left the gates as they were and picked up your trash they were glad to have you.

But the best advise that I can give you is to contact the area biologist and talk to them. Along with looking at the Utah hunt planner on the Utah DWR web site.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I don't have any info that would help, but if you go I wish you the best of luck. I hope you have a great adventure and kill a buck that you're happy with!

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
Sorry to hear about your health. I have zero info but hope you have a good hunt.
I’m hearing more and more stories this, top point holders aging out before they draw tags. It happens a lot here in Oregon every season.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Sorry to hear about your health. I have zero info but hope you have a good hunt.
I’m hearing more and more stories this, top point holders aging out before they draw tags. It happens a lot here in Oregon every season.
Ya I intend to be more aggressive in all my applications this year. Had a five year plan where I had one guaranteed tag/year on preference. But I’m afraid I better scrap that to cash 2 or 3 this year.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Yep...I'm 82 now and have to really pick and choose my hunts. Can't do some I really want to do, but have some new spots that have possibilities.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Good to hear from you Zim. He used to post a lot a few years back, and we even had applied jointly for a CO mule deer tag that we had sufficient points to draw. Unfortunately, we were the only group with the same point total to get shut out. We figured that we would be good the following year, but the zone was hit by a killer winter and we both looked elsewhere. My health is still good, but at 71 am enduring the slow fade, but still keep trudging along. Zim, good luck with the draw and hunt, whatever you decide to do. Plan on success, and a way out of the boondocks when you get it. Rick

Reactions: gonhunting247