Long range rifle build advice

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Want to play around with long range shooting, should i build from scratch or buy a used set up from a buddy at work?

.300 prc

Looking at Ruger, browning, Savage and Burgaria ( sp?)

The used started as a christensen arms new barrel , trigger ,bedding comes with shells 200 , brass load data but no scope.
Its dead on and shoots great

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I have both custom built and OTC rifles I’ve put scopes on and paired with good range finders.
I think for me it’s cost. Custom obviously are much more expensive then otc. I have Savage rifles that shoot as good as my custom rifles and much less price point.
I would say pick up the rifle from your buddy due to it would be less cost then having it built. Put a good scope on it with a good range finder and go for it.
spend the most money you can afford on the scope and RF, IMO that’s where the big difference will come in OTC and custom.
I think a great scope can make an otc rifle as good shooting as the customs. That’s been my experience at least.

Reactions: Slugz

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Assuming you will be using it for elk and larger animals, .30 cal is great. I use a .300 Wby for elk & larger, 25-06 for everything smaller. I have taken probably 100 + deer and 75 or so antelope with the 25, I love it. My Weatherby is really great too.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Targets out to 900-1000 yards hunting inside of 600.

Not sure and i didn't get a chance to ask him today at work.
The 300PRC would do all of that easily. If your going to do a lot shooting you may consider a smaller caliber for costs. With the other 30 cals you have, I would go with something else because your not gaining much with the PRC.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
The 300PRC would do all of that easily. If your going to do a lot shooting you may consider a smaller caliber for costs. With the other 30 cals you have, I would go with something else because your not gaining much with the PRC.
Like the 6.5 prc?

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Like the 6.5 prc?
That Is a good choice, if you build one, go with a medium or long action, it will give you more case capacity being able to seat the bullets out further. There are a lot of good cartridges in the 26 cal that would work.