How to cook rabbit meat?

dinewild

Apr 8, 2023
Canada
dinewild.com
My dad just hunted a rabbit but I don't know how to make it into a delicious dish. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Here's a recipe that can be used with rabbit and it tastes amazing. A great one pot dish.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
This!

Stupid easy.

Or This!

(Note: for this one, I ran our 'crockpot' knock off 'instapot' for 20min, the time in the actual recipe seemed waaay too short, it turned out awesome, pics below)

This is how the 2nd one turned out for me cooking a February Fat prairie cottontail:

Reactions: gonhunting247

LeeSikvel

Sep 7, 2022
Rabbit meat can be really tasty. How about trying a simple rabbit stew with some veggies and herbs? It's super flavorful and easy to make. Just brown the meat, and add in your favorite veggies, some broth, and seasonings. Simmer until it's tender and enjoy! Also, I recently tried adding mushroom powders to this dish, which gave it a special piquancy. I just like to experiment with different tastes, and I thought it was quite interesting. You can get creative and customize your recipe to your liking!

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I'm going to debone, soft freeze, and run a few through the grinder with bacon this winter to make rabbit bacon burger. I'm guessing it will be pretty good but we will see.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
This!

Stupid easy.

Or This!

(Note: for this one, I ran our 'crockpot' knock off 'instapot' for 20min, the time in the actual recipe seemed waaay too short, it turned out awesome, pics below)

This is how the 2nd one turned out for me cooking a February Fat prairie cottontail:

View attachment 43555
Wow...are those little, round green things rabbit turds....sure look like it! LOL! My Dad would never eat peas, he said thats what peas were.!!!!

Reactions: JimP

Lou (Louis)

Aug 10, 2023
NorCal
Rabbit is one of my favorite foods.
Fried rabbit, biscuits, mashed potatoes and white gravy would be in my top three "last meal" choices.
Somebody must be cooking it wrong?
Yup.
Rabbit is sweeter than chicken. Roasted is a delicacy. Made this way, my favorite “cut” is the “flank steak”.

laksher

Sep 22, 2020
England Bishop Sutton
This is a classic way to prepare rabbit meat. Cut the rabbit into pieces and brown them in a pot with some oil. Add chopped onions, carrots, and celery, and cook until the vegetables are soft. Add some broth or wine, season with salt, pepper, and herbs like thyme or rosemary, and simmer until the meat is tender. You can adapt the recipe I described for other meat dishes you are about to prepare.

Last edited: