Electrolytes

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I went back 5 pages and didn't see any titles including this.

What's a good electrolyte replacement?

It's that time of year and I'm doing stuff at my dad's place, scouting, and doing honey-dos. Put up a "she shed" the other day and first day i was fine - 24 60# bags of concrete purchased and placed, got shed together (shed base is part of the slab). Day 2 kicked my rocker - spasms, cramps, headache, and even rib and abdominal stuff. Drank 160 oz of water & gatorade while working. What really helped was a glass of water with teaspoon of Himalayan salt. Lost 9 pounds.

Anyway, Saturday laid a floor for my dad, didn't get enough liquids. Up early and out in the 92 degree/104 heat index yesterday scouting whitetails, 8 miles on Ebike, 2.5 miles thru woods. Drank about 80-100 oz of gatorade and water in the woods, started day off with a glass of salt water. Got my rocker kicked again, just not as bad - cramps put the kibosh on scouting after about 5-6 hours. Got home had vinegar and honey, and salt water again. Went out and mowed lawn. LoL!

Yes - chubby and out of shape but stubborn. I know there are some products out there that will help me keep going. I still have the physical strength, just body is sweating out everything I put in there and more.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
I’ve used the Gatorade powder, Powerade powder, some generic brands, MTN Ops, and now got a sample pack from Wilderness Athlete. I think the main thing is what tastes the best to you. If I remember correctly, Gatorade has the least amount of stuff in, no vitamins or extras. It all depends on what you want out of it. Most electrolyte additives will be very similar. When you get into this other stuff that is supposed to give you energy or help you sleep, I haven’t tried them.

Reactions: Rich M

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
Not yet. Just realizing that id better do something before i hurt myself. Asking around and will try somethingbthis weekend.
I just did 6 days in the wilderness by horse and brought a powdered Gatorade mix with water every day and had no cramps. That is my go to but pedialyte has had good results for a lot of folks in the athletic world if Gatorade doesn’t help.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I just did 6 days in the wilderness by horse and brought a powdered Gatorade mix with water every day and had no cramps. That is my go to but pedialyte has had good results for a lot of folks in the athletic world if Gatorade doesn’t help.
Gatorade cuts down on the cramps for like a fishing day, I also do powdered magnesium (calm). But these last couple stints have pushed beyond my normal level of dehydration and things are so busy it is go or lose opportunity.

Some folks have said to try "Liquid IV", and that they prefer it over pedialyte. I do have some pedialyte and more gatorade in the closet - we keep it for hurricane emergencies.

Reactions: Finsandtines

disabled combat vet

Jul 13, 2019
Pueblo, Colorado
Gatorade cuts down on the cramps for like a fishing day, I also do powdered magnesium (calm). But these last couple stints have pushed beyond my normal level of dehydration and things are so busy it is go or lose opportunity.

Some folks have said to try "Liquid IV", and that they prefer it over pedialyte. I do have some pedialyte and more gatorade in the closet - we keep it for hurricane emergencies.
walmart has the liquid IV in packets for about 9 bucks for 6 packets.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I know it sounds like the last thing you want when your thirsty, but a banana will take care of the muscle cramps pretty quick. I used to cramp a lot while boxing and coach told me to eat a banana and if that didn’t work….eat 2 bananas! Sure as shit….it works!

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I know it sounds like the last thing you want when your thirsty, but a banana will take care of the muscle cramps pretty quick. I used to cramp a lot while boxing and coach told me to eat a banana and if that didn’t work….eat 2 bananas! Sure as shit….it works!
Not at all. I like bananas and eat them regularly. Especially before offshore fishing.

great advice.

another natural helper is honey. First thing my dad said was take some honey.

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas