Colorado Antelope

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Just got home last night from a very successful antelope hunt here in southern Colorado. My hunting buddy bagged his first ever antelope and it was a really great one. I'll post more later today when I get unpacked and have a little more time. Here is one picture, notice the spot low on the right horn, it is a broadhead that impacted and is still in the horn. 44902

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Congrats!

Thats certainly not a real good look for the bowhunting community. I have seen a lot of strange things like that this year that different people have posted.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Left home on Wednesday so we could spend a couple of days scouting. We arrived near Antonito to the turnoff and about an hour and a half of rock, bumpy and gravel road to camp at about 1:00 in the afternoon. Got to the campspot and setup everything before dark.
Spent all day Thursday and Friday looking for antelope. I think we saw about 20 shooter bucks each day (some of them were the same ones each day). 4490444905
Opening day, we had a pretty nice buck about a half mile from camp. Ron had never hunted antelope before and decided to pass on the 275 yard shot. Spent all day out and saw lots of antelope, but tough hunting as they were pretty spooky as the rut was just finishing up.
Sunday we decided to go back to an area where we had seen a really good buck and see if we could find him again. We glassed a pond and there were about 10 watering. I glassed up the ridge behind us and saw the big buck we were looking for standing and looking at 5 does he had with him. I ranged him at 310 yards. Ron opened his bipod and knelt down for a shot. The buck was standing looking toward us and it was not a good shot. After what seemed like 5 minutes (actually probably was 30 seconds!) , he turned broadside and I said "Ron ...take him". I heard the bullet hit him and he just jumped in the air and he was down for good. Lots of whooping and yelling and Ron had his first antelope. As we walked up to him, no ground shrinkage for sure. He was a great buck with lots of mass and at least 15".

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Interesting angle the broadhead hit at. Wonder what the heck happened for that to happen???

Congrats on a nice buck and good hunt. I sure miss the days of being able to hunt them every year.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Yep me too! There is a pretty nice tank in a dammed up draw with a lot of water in it. Looks to me that the broadhead is from this year and the archery hunter probably had a blind near the water. If the buck had his head down drinking and heard the release and turned his head toward the shooter, it could have got in the path of the arrow. The guys I hunt with (2 of them) and I have enough party points for deer & antelope in Wy next year and plan on using them. At my age (LOL), I can't afford to wait too long!

Last edited:

Lou (Louis)

Aug 10, 2023
NorCal
Left home on Wednesday so we could spend a couple of days scouting. We arrived near Antonito to the turnoff and about an hour and a half of rock, bumpy and gravel road to camp at about 1:00 in the afternoon. Got to the campspot and setup everything before dark.
Spent all day Thursday and Friday looking for antelope. I think we saw about 20 shooter bucks each day (some of them were the same ones each day). View attachment 44904View attachment 44905
View attachment 44906
Opening day, we had a pretty nice buck about a half mile from camp. Ron had never hunted antelope before and decided to pass on the 275 yard shot. Spent all day out and saw lots of antelope, but tough hunting as they were pretty spooky as the rut was just finishing up.
Sunday we decided to go back to an area where we had seen a really good buck and see if we could find him again. We glassed a pond and there were about 10 watering. I glassed up the ridge behind us and saw the big buck we were looking for standing and looking at 5 does he had with him. I ranged him at 310 yards. Ron opened his bipod and knelt down for a shot. The buck was standing looking toward us and it was not a good shot. After what seemed like 5 minutes (actually probably was 30 seconds!) , he turned broadside and I said "Ron ...take him". I heard the bullet hit him and he just jumped in the air and he was down for good. Lots of whooping and yelling and Ron had his first antelope. As we walked up to him, no ground shrinkage for sure. He was a great buck with lots of mass and at least 15".

View attachment 44907View attachment 44908View attachment 44909
Nice goat. And hat!