Calling Bears

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Who’s done it? Who’s had success doing it? Any tips you want to share? Calls used? Any good stories? Mainly talking about black bears, but nothing wrong with talking about grizzlies also.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
20 years ago I called one in at night calling coons in PA. Came trotting in to a Johnny Stewart tape, bird in distress.

I was scared, the bear was scared, my buddy was scared. Lol

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I’ve tried it a few times but no success. I might be beat hunting again this year and will be giving calling a try and see if it will work.

Reactions: idcwby

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I have called in a few bears over the years. More spring bears than fall, but have had a couple show interest enough during early fall to get them shot. During the spring I have called bears right up close and personal (20-30 yards). I had a sow with two little cubs come in to 30 yards this spring, but I think she was more in protective mode than hungry mode :).
I don't call totally blind much, meaning I usually hear, see and loose sight or get in a spot that has a lot of fresh bear activity.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I used a old Lohman predator call (rabbit in distress). Interestingly enough I've only called bears in with this mouth call. I have never had any success with my electronic call!

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
20 years ago I called one in at night calling coons in PA. Came trotting in to a Johnny Stewart tape, bird in distress.

I was scared, the bear was scared, my buddy was scared. Lol
Did you change your calling technique after that? That probably would be quite the surprise.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
I have called in a few bears over the years. More spring bears than fall, but have had a couple show interest enough during early fall to get them shot. During the spring I have called bears right up close and personal (20-30 yards). I had a sow with two little cubs come in to 30 yards this spring, but I think she was more in protective mode than hungry mode :).
I don't call totally blind much, meaning I usually hear, see and loose sight or get in a spot that has a lot of fresh bear activity.
How long does it usually take for them to come in? I’ve been thinking I should try it more, since I haven’t had a chance to bait anymore.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I have always had pretty quick responses, like within 10-15 minutes. But, as stated earlier, I usually know a bear is close. either I've seen it and by the time I get there he slips away or I hear what I believe to be one in the brush by me or I see some super fresh sign, but can't spot a bear. Those are the typical scenarios I use the call for. I will say I usually don't stay put for more than 30 minutes, so I don't know if more would come in or not. In my mind it seems like the odds drop pretty quickly beyond the 10-15 minute mark, but I am just going by my experiences. I killed the chocolate colored bear at 30 yards in the spring. and the black one at 150 in the fall. Both bears I had seen and couldn't relocate, so I called when I got in kind of close.

100_0914.JPGDSC00934.JPG

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Did you change your calling technique after that? That probably would be quite the surprise.
No, we just kept on calling the same old spots. To be honest western PA didn't have many bears 20 years ago. It was pretty rare to see one.

If I recall correctly, this was the night we called that bear in. We were soaked from the rain.

Ironically, coons come running in like little bears lol.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
rd
I have always had pretty quick responses, like within 10-15 minutes. But, as stated earlier, I usually know a bear is close. either I've seen it and by the time I get there he slips away or I hear what I believe to be one in the brush by me or I see some super fresh sign, but can't spot a bear. Those are the typical scenarios I use the call for. I will say I usually don't stay put for more than 30 minutes, so I don't know if more would come in or not. In my mind it seems like the odds drop pretty quickly beyond the 10-15 minute mark, but I am just going by my experiences. I killed the chocolate colored bear at 30 yards in the spring. and the black one at 150 in the fall. Both bears I had seen and couldn't relocate, so I called when I got in kind of close.

View attachment 43991View attachment 43990
Doesn’t sound to much different than calling coyotes. The only time I’ve tried calling for bears was on a bait barrel, trying to get something to show up, but nothing did.

Reactions: gonhunting247

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
rd

Doesn’t sound to much different than calling coyotes. The only time I’ve tried calling for bears was on a bait barrel, trying to get something to show up, but nothing did.
We can't bait here, so I mostly spot and stalk with the calls used as a good way to try and make a bear show himself when i've snuck in and just can't find/see him. If you are in the thick stuff like we have here, it also works when you can hear one grubbing and rolling rocks, but just can't get a look at him. I do just blind call, but have had minimal success. I think I'm too impatient to sit long enough :).

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I think it has to be the right bear at the right time and place/situation, because I have watched bears that I've called to and they looked for a second and went right back to doing what they were doing :).

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Called this sow in this spring after hearing her down in the creek bottom. She came in to about 30 yards, but had little tykes in tow and would try to put them up a tree and come see what the commotion was. She never did really figure out what was going on so she went back across the creek and climbed a tree to try and get a better view.

Attachments

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
That’s what I’m worried with blind calling having the patience to sit there, need to convince a buddy to go with me so I have someone to watch my back. Just never know if some wolves, lion, or even bobcat would decide to show up.😁

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I have always called solo except sometimes for coyotes/bobcats. I'm always hoping a Mt.lion will appear, but so far I haven't been that lucky (that I know of :) ). It just seems if you only go when others will go, you will miss out on a lot of opportunities.
It would be cool to call wolves in also, especially with a tag in your pocket!

Reactions: kidoggy

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
I have always called solo except sometimes for coyotes/bobcats. I'm always hoping a Mt.lion will appear, but so far I haven't been that lucky (that I know of :) ). It just seems if you only go when others will go, you will miss out on a lot of opportunities.
It would be cool to call wolves in also, especially with a tag in your pocket!
I figured I’d have to do more by myself, than with someone. Unfortunately all my buddies that use to want to go all the time do seem to keen on going that much anymore.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I haven't done it yet but plan to. I call in deer all of the time and calling in bear would be a kick!!!

I'm headed to Montana in mid May and then to Idaho in late May.