3 day food list

Jon Boy

Apr 13, 2011
Billings, MT
My brother and I are headed into the back country this weekend for 3 days. We have all the gear necessary but ive had a hard time putting a food list together. We will each have a mountain house for dinner but what else do you guys do for breakfast and lunch? Were on a bit of a budget so mountain houses for breakfast are out. Im thinking oat meal or poptart for breakfast but im a bit lost for lunch. We both eat alot when were being active all day so somethin thats filling is a important. What are your diy back country junkies favorite foods?

Grantbvfd

Jun 10, 2011
Anderson, CA
Peanut butter, bacon and honey sandwhiches are great! Cheap and loaded with protein. Trail mix is also another good one if you can find some with low sodium. Cliff bars will fill you up too. Good luck!

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I agree with the above. A cliff bar for breakfast, and I'm good to go for a while. I like peanut butter and honey on a bagel for lunch. And then go with the Mountain house for dinner.. Mix in a few snacks throughout the day, and you're good to go. Pepperoni, Salami and Bacon on a bagel makes for a pretty tasty sammich as well!

Conrad8899

Oct 15, 2011
Casper Wy
One thing that I did learn. On my first trip was. If you dont eat breakfast at home. You wont eat it on ur trip. At leat I didnt. Packed in oatmeal for breakfast. Packed it all back out.

T43

I Prefer poptarts to oatmeal, no cleanup and you can eat them without cooking them. I like a little variety though so for my 5 day trip this year I had 3 Pkgs of oatmeal, 3 Pkgs of Poptarts and 1 Mt House Breakfast. I was able to eat what sounded good every day. The Mt house on day 4 was great. Enough to give me a pick me up for the last 2 days. As for lunch I like peanut butter bacon bagels but only for the first day or 2. On day three I fed most of mine to a squirrel and was happy to be rid of it. I did have a backup, peanut butter and banana chips with honey on a bagel. Bagels don't get gooey and they won't mash as easy. I always take 2 bags of Tillamook jerky. I pour one bag into the other to save on room but If I snack on jerky and trail mix throughout the day I can miss lunch without noticing it. That was good when I decided I couldn't eat another PB&BB. I'm not worried about packing to much food. I figure I will feel better with a full stomach and a 45 lb pack than an empty stomach and a 42 Lb pack.

Jon Boy

Apr 13, 2011
Billings, MT
Alright so heres what have packed for each day in individual gallon bags-oatmeal, poptart, 2 peanut butter nature valley bars, 1 pack of cheese crackers, 2 pepperjack cheese sticks, and a mountain house. Im also bringing a pack of jerky and pepper stick. I know its not a variety at all from day to day but I used what was on hand. Do you guys think this will cut it for a 3 day/3 night trip? am I going to be left hungry? This is my first back pack hunting trip lasting longer than 1 night so its gunna be a learning process

ID_MW

Apr 17, 2011
Central ID
I am with Fink on the salami. A nice dry salami will have the protein and salt your body will be craving, and the weight to protein ratio is on par with jerky (which is another nice lightweight snack in the backpack). As far as bars go, I absolutely can't stand the taste of Clif bars, but do like the Clif builder bar, Met-RX big 100, and tram bars ( http://katesrealfood.com/ ), along with a few others now and again; look into Backcountry Bars; they are calorie heavy and taste great, http://www.backcountrybar.com/ . Bars are a nice way to go for meal replacement, and mid-hike snacking. A nice candy bar is a great edition as well. Lots of good feedback on this thread, by the way. Mountain house and similar freeze-dried meals are an awesome lightweight way to jam in the calories, and most of them taste great too. If you haven't tried the Breakfast skillet Mountain House yet, get on it; it's a home-run. I like to bring a few peanut butter squeeze packets along as well, because everything is better with some peanut butter on it. Try the many delicious flavors of Justin's butter at http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/ . Mixes are a nice snack as well, but I will disagree with Grantbvfd about a low sodium option. If you are moving dynamically in the backcountry, you will need sodium, as it is fundamentally critical to the function of the nervous and muscular system; in this regard, I also like to bring Emergen-C packets and some sports-drink (electrolyte) powder. Everyone is packing the old tried and true bagel sandwich, and it is a nice way to go as well, they keep well in the pack, and you can throw just about anything in there and it always seems to taste great. Variety is the spice of life, and can turn boring backcountry meal time, to a satisfying and fun experience. Keep posting your ideas, this is a great way to get new and exiting food options into the packs.

Elk Hunter

Jan 22, 2012
Missouri
Question? I have been using the jalapeño and cheese wraps you find in Walmart, 210 cal. each, which are flat and hold up in the pack well. With peanut butter and grape jelly it sticks with you for a while. I have been thinking about adding the precooked sausage crumbles, but I am a little concerned about spoilage? Anyone have experience?

For a fast breakfast I have used Cheerios or Total cereal, freeze dried whole milk (Nido), and protein powder. Put it in your nalgene bottle the night before and then just add water and shake in the morning. Cheerios do tend to be a little bulky and Total tends to crumble into small pieces. Another fast meal is the foil packaged Tuna in oil. The Tuna salad in the foil package taste better but doesn't have the calories. There are several freeze dried soups you can get on the soup isle in walmart. I get the ones with the highest calories per ounce. You have to figure out how much to use per serving. The package says 8, but the way I do it I only get 4 servings per package. More calories that way. Peanuts, Peanut M&Ms, cashews, walnuts, and raisins are good snacks. I have found that dried fruit tends to be low on calories for the weight so I don't take them. One backpacking buddy takes nothing but peanuts, raisins, and beef jerky from walmart. That's it for seven days. No stove or cooking gear needed, but I couldn't do it. I love Mountain House Sweet and Sour and Chili Mac with beef but they are bulky. The Chili Mac with the jalapeño wraps make a good burrito. I haven't found any bars that I like, but the Marathon bar is the best I have tried. I have carried as many as three apples. They make it OK for the first three days. I carry a Sigg metro mug, vacuum insulated, which I can add Mountain House, soup, or oatmeal with boiling water in the morning and I will still have to let it cool for lunch.