Zone D12, Chuckwalla Mountains

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
I live in the unit........not sure who told you there are good numbers of deer.......far from the truth. It is a true low desert unit where deer per acre are very low. However, deer grow old in this unit, as much of it is inaccessible except by foot. However, mature bucks are killed every year by a few locals that scout and know how to hunt the unit. I've measured some really nice deer over the years from here. The unit is huge with hundreds of square miles. With the above average rainfall this winter/spring, the deer are spread out and probably will be until the season begins. The archery success in this unit ran 0% for years.........the rifle success is generally less than 10%.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
BOHNTR is spot on. My Dad hunted this unit for years and lived there too. Water and feed are the 2 drivers. Years like this the deer do great, not so much when there is little rain. Dad shot lots of deer, but it took tons of work to be successful. As they say "Boots on the ground" and he did plenty of that. The deer also tend to stay in certain areas, especially where there is water.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Here's a few I saw last weekend while visiting a farmer friend of mine near Blythe......of course I had no tag in my pocket.

D-12 Bucks.jpg