Wyoming summer vacation

Mr Nice

Feb 14, 2020
My wife and I are headed to Denver this summer for a wedding the weekend prior to the 4th. We have decided that we want to drive from ND and make a trip out of it. Thoughts were that after the wedding we would wander our way through Wyoming and possibly go through Yellowstone on our way back, knowing that it is likely one of the most crowded weeks with the holiday but we can't change the date. Here is what I've been thinking for the trip and am looking for opinions on where to go, where to stay, what to see, etc. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! We don't feel like camping on this one.

Leave Denver and drive up through Laramie area and stay in Pinedale. From there go up through Jackson and spend some time there to see what we can. Then up into the park for a day or two. Leaving the park, which is the best way to go? East to Cody and spend some time there before hitting the road back to ND, or north up through Cooke?

First look at hotel pricing is absurd, but again I'm assuming it's because the week of the 4th is higher priced than anything else.

Reactions: LCH

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I would pick a different route up personally. That's not the best drive for scenery or hotel pricing. You are correct, the park will be very busy and at times you will feel like you never escaped that Denver traffic. In you shoes I would even consider switching the entire trip. Maybe head up the wind river canyon through Thermopolis? From there you could still access the park from the east entrance through Cody... and avoid at least some of the tourist mob and you would find cheaper lodging. Good luck in the planning

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
I agree the park will be busy, look into where the road construction within the park is located and maybe pick your routes that way. Also being from ND i'm sure you have been thru the teddy roosevelt national park, IF you haven't do it! When i did this trip 3 years ago i think i had more fun there than i did in yellowstone, way more laid back and more animals. Have fun! Luke

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
For a starter, you mentioned Pinedale. I would suggest that you make motel reservations well in advance, as the energy companies had locked up many of the rooms long term. That may have eased some from a couple years ago. While in Pinedale, spend some time at the Museum of the Mountain Man if that interests you. Jackson has rooms galore, but is solidly Californicated, pricey, and in the peak season
often sold out. Again, book ahead...the Antler Inn or Super 8 may be your cheapest option. Lodging in Yellowstone...book now or forget about it.

Mr Nice

Feb 14, 2020
Thank you for the suggestion. I also want to make this somewhat of a scouting trip to see some areas to hunt in the future for antelope, deer, and elk. I've been to Jackson before to ski, but don't really remember if there was much to see in town.

Mr Nice

Feb 14, 2020
Yep, been through both the north and south units of TR park several times. Another thought was maybe drive through the Bighorns from west to east. I've snowmobiled in there many times and always wondered what that was like in the summer and only saw the eastern side.

Trying to get a general idea now to make some basic reservations that we can always cancel.

Thank you again!

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Go out and stay in the NE entrance to Cook City, Silver Gate MT, and drive out through the Beartooth Hwy (212). Yellowstone is a freaking zoo, but it's still fun if your in no hurry. Going in at Dubios is nice also. I do agree the Wind Canyon is awesome also!

Mr Nice

Feb 14, 2020
What if a person drove up to Thermopolis and then backtracked down to Riverton to come in through Dubios and see the Bighorn Sheep Center? Is that worth seeing?

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I took my family out there for the 4th of July about 8 years ago. It is a little crowded but worth it in my opinion. We spent the 4th of July in Cody, watched their parade and went to the Cody stampede rodeo. We have done this twice over the past 15 years. It is my favorite way to spend the 4th of July.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I took my family last year. We flew into Salt Lake and drove up to the West entrance. We stayed close to the West gate just out side of the park for a couple nights and then down to Alpine for a couple nights to see Grand Teton Park. We rafted the Snake river which was a blast. Unless you stay in the park expect to drive a lot. To be honest I enjoyed the driving around even more when I was not the driver. I wish we could have made it to the Cody area. Next time I plan to start from there.