Wyoming Region D

shedhead

Mar 9, 2011
Utah
I posted this in the mule deer forum as well, but I didn't draw my regiom K tag so my buddy and I bought region D leftover tags, was wondering if anyone would be willing to share any info on this area. We are looking to hunt around saratoga and encampment, I know there is a lot of private around there but looking for any help. Have been looking at the national forest ground around there more than anything. thanks for any help.

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
Don't be fooled there are some big deer there. Every year they get some real pigs out in the late season hunt, so they have to be in there during the general season, they are just hung up in the timber. Be prepared to see a lot of hunters. Study the maps and concentrate areas were the roads are few and far between. One area to look at is in the Snowy Range is six mile gap, it's on the west side of the Snowy Range near the Colorado border. I have seen some decent deer come out of there.

shedhead

Mar 9, 2011
Utah
Thanks for the suggestions Looking forward to heading over there in 2 weeks to look around and get a feel for the country.

SouthernWyo

Mar 11, 2011
Don't concentrate on trophy's, think more of a fun hunt. The Platte Valley mule deer herd is in trouble the last few years. The last few surveys have shown that the numbers in the Platte Valley are WELL below objective. The big bucks from the late season are mostly coming up to winter range from the Colorado side. Late season big bucks have dropped considerably from just 5 years ago. That tag ain't what it used to be...

Futboler

Feb 24, 2011
Great Falls, MT
Hey ssliger....what do you think about a Region D bowhunt? Any areas where those bucks like to be in early Sept? I've never been into the Medicine Bow before.

Futboler

Feb 24, 2011
Great Falls, MT
Well to answer my own question after this last week's hunt.......I found the Medicine Bow to be a difficult area to bowhunt with a few exceptions. I was disappointed with number of deer I saw especially on the Eastern side of the MB. I ended up taking a small 4x4 and did not see any bucks over the 2.5 age class, except in the city limits of Saratoga. I personally would not recommend an archery mule deer hunt in the MB without knowing the forest well.