Wyoming elk unit 68

jwmerrill27

Sep 6, 2017
Wondering if anyone has had any luck hunting unit 68 for elk in Wyoming. I have a buddy that has in-laws with a cabin out there so we are looking to plan a trip there in a couple years. We started applying for preference points this year. We are leaning towards the general license but possibly archery too. Any ideas on how many points needed to draw the Archery tag? Looks like with 2 points we'll draw the general tag from what I can see.

Also any tips on how to scout for elk in a new area? It would be our first ever elk trip so we are completely new to the sport. He goes out there in the late summer for a week usually.

Thanks

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
If you can draw the general license then you just buy an archery license to hunt the bow season. Odds will be different next year with the price increase, perhaps better for NR who pony up and apply, or many will burn their points and get out of the Wyoming PP pool.
Hope bears don't scare you, grizz country up there.

jwmerrill27

Sep 6, 2017
Yes, the little bit of research I've done has me second guessing going out there with all the bears!! We'll see I guess though. I might have to look elsewhere in Wyoming I guess too. Hoping to make a trip to Colorado or somewhere OTC in the next year or two as well. But any information on unit 68 in general would be great, can pm if you would rather. Not looking for secret spots just general info on the elk heard out there. His cabin is by dunoir area near crooked creek ski doo.

Thanks

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
We deer hunted out of sunlight basin a couple years, be North of there, but lots of grizzlies there. Seen them about every day.